Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OOOHHH WOE IS ME !!!!!!  (Read 10646 times)

Tank

OOOHHH WOE IS ME !!!!!!
« on: January 23, 2005, 06:16:07 PM »

I just cant believe my luck.I just start to get the jeep to a decent standard,with the help of the Dastards,goes to Farley Quarry today and i`ve F*&K*D it somehow.Wouldnt mind but i was taking it easy and still end up going home on the back of a recovery lorry.My sway bar had snapped,which in itself is bad but nothing major,but once home i got underneath and found that i had also literally squashed the bracket that is part of the front axle and secures a suspension arm from the body,to the axle(forgive me for not knowing the technical/proper names).I must of hit a rock,without really realising,or maybe because the bar broke,axle sort of twisted and caused the bracket to fold up.I have spent the last 2 hours trying to straighten it but i think that im going to have to do an axle change as i cant straighten fully and it will be weak. :banghead:  :swearmad:  :sledgehammer:

Mick O

• Mickosaurus
  • Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 06:54:01 PM »

Sorry to hear about your bad luck buddy :?:

:)  8)  :supz:
I'm not a complete idiot.......................some bits are missing

AKA Jurassic O

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 07:01:31 PM »

Yes,but this bracket is actually part of the front axle so im going to have to swop the lot over i think but will seek the wisdom from the great OZ first

Mick O

• Mickosaurus
  • Founder
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 07:06:06 PM »

Im sure that he that knows all about Jeeps will put you on the right path :prayer:  :D  :supz:
I'm not a complete idiot.......................some bits are missing

AKA Jurassic O

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 07:11:52 PM »

Its definately a step in the right direction. :)

iwan

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 07:33:29 PM »

It's a pretty common problem.  People weld plates across the bracket or buy things to bolt on as it is easy to slide across a rock and bend.

Any one with a big hammer and a few facilities can sort it out.  Only problem is that you may have to saw off the bolt that goes through the control arm before you can remove and set about straightening the bracket.  The bolt is a fancy cam one to allow adjustment of suspension settings so you need to get from a Jeep dealer.

Don't worry you're not the first or last to do this and you should not need a new axle

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 07:57:50 PM »

Hi Iwan,i`ve tried the big hammer but unfortunately it bent into the diff housing so cant get behind to whack it.Im sure that with the right facilities it could be straightened but it will be much weaker now.Im looking at changing axle as i already have a vehicle im breaking which still has front complete axle so it wont cost me any money,just time,then i could reinforce the brackets on that axle to prevent future problems :idea:

Woody

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 08:32:42 PM »

I think these are what Iwan is referring to:

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merc ... de=xj_skid

Woody

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 08:40:41 PM »

dont worry tank, the dastards can fix it. you are jinxed by that place i think. if ya need some weldin let us know bro. 8)

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 08:51:01 PM »

you are right there Greggmo,3 times ive took the Cherry there and 3 times ive gone home on the back of a transporter.Think i will have to not go there again.Thanks for your offer mate,you`ll have to come and have a look and see what you think,mate. :?  :?  :?  :?  :?

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 09:00:04 PM »

:( Sorry to hear about your bad luck mate. It's a  good job you did not sell your other axel. You will have to follow the yellow brick road to the all knowing all fixing OZ :lol:  :lol:

bluesub

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
    • http://www.roy.howes.dsl.pipex.com
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 11:15:50 PM »

Mick
sorry to hear of your disaster :lol:
It seems you and farley Quarry dont mix :?
97 Cherokee 4.0l Ltd with 2" lift and Muds

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 12:11:34 AM »

Mick
Im really  really sorry to hear of your problems //jinx  Hope you get it sorted out I was pondering when Farley was but did a few lanes instead

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2005, 08:07:30 AM »

Thanks for the kind words guys.Hopefully the sway bar that Paul kindly ordered from the States wont take too long in coming as im buggered until i get that , as the standard one from my breaker wont be any good because of the lift.Im still definately going to the 4x4 show,but what in,i just dont know yet. :?:  :?:  :?:

Motul

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 09:02:17 AM »

Mick, if ya need a lift to the show let me know, and I`ll pick you up on the way !!  :wink:
Pages: [1]   Go Up