Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WJ(WG) 2001 3.1TD transmission noise at 1400 RMP  (Read 1259 times)

4tom

WJ(WG) 2001 3.1TD transmission noise at 1400 RMP
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »

I have a metal fast clinking noise coming from transmission when the revs reach 1400 revs and goes away once revs reach 1500.
it happens in park neutral and in drive
Thought it might be the exhaust hitting somewhere as it does sound very much like it's vibrating of off part of the body. Crawling under the jeep I inspected then poked and pried the exhaust but it doesn't seem to be hitting anywhere. But the sound seems to be loudest at transmission bell housing
where it bolts to the engine.

less noise at oil sump so I suspect flex-plate or torque converter bolts but I don't know.

Spend a hour trying to undo an inspection plate that is not there.
apparently the diesel engine doesn't have the same inspection plate as the petrol models. I found a diagram of inspection holes for 3.1 diesel engine but looking up from below it doesn't have space to get my head up there to look in at bolts.
It seems only way to inspect is drop the transmission and this is something ive never done before.

I really would like to avoid taking it to a mechanic if possible... as labor is typically 80 euro per hour.
plus the lazy git's spend more time punching the cash register keys than turning a wrench. although if I do have to drop it into a garage I could get the rear main engine oil seal replaced as its been leaking for a while.

any help or suggestion greatly appreciated.
[attachment=1]

scrw

Re: WJ(WG) 2001 3.1TD transmission noise at 1400 RMP
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 08:52:03 PM »

That looks a sod to work on  :icon_eek:

4tom

Re: WJ(WG) 2001 3.1TD transmission noise at 1400 RMP
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 05:05:17 PM »

yep the VM engine is shoe horned in and puts up a fight if you try to do anything to it  :violence:

I keep hearing about inspection plate as on petrol models but I don't seem to have one instead these holes as in photo.
 :017:
Pages: [1]   Go Up