Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XJ more articulation from rear....  (Read 4078 times)

Green Jeep

XJ more articulation from rear....
« on: July 24, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »

Hi,

I have an XJ with 3" Rough County lift kit, recently added flexi arms to front, would like to squeeze some more articulation from rear...

I have been looking at flex rear shackles...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TeraFlex-XJ-MJ-Revolver-Shackle-Cherokee-Jeep-1074000-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e29685c3QQitemZ360283801027QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

But have heard bad things about on road manners... what about relocation kits?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-XJ-Shackle-Relocation-Kit-Adds-1-1-5-Lift-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem588f0a78ccQQitemZ380356950220QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Running 34" super swampers and Aussie lockers front & rear 4.56:1 gearing.

Thanks in advance Maf

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
Re: XJ more articulation from rear....
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 04:24:07 PM »

extended shackles will give more flex
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

scrw

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 04:43:58 PM »

& using rubber rather than poly bushes

Green Jeep

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:44:30 PM »

extended shackles will give more flex

Sorry, should have said, already running adjustable shackles, just wondered if either of the two things I posted were any good.

Cheers Maf

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »

The revolvers will give axle hop, axle tramp and tie the rear into a pretzle........... the only time they rock is on the RTI ramp and real life ain't like that.
The Rough Country stuff looks like it bolts to the unibody and just lowers the mount point so that seems fine..... better than 9" shackle length nightmares :icon_super: It will alter your pinion angle......but  I guess you knew that :icon_biggrin:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 11:41:33 AM »

As I understand it you want the shackle to be pointing downwards and rearwards at close to a 45 degree angle. This is what it seems these relocation brackets do. They are only going to be a good upgrade if your shackle currently sits too upright. My Full Traction leaf springs are slightly longer than stock XJ ones and they come with boomerang shackles to achieve the same thing.

The revolver shackles should work but get really bad reviews for being unpredictable and possibly dangerous off road. I've thought about trying them becasue surely you can get used to something and adapt your driving style?

The only other thing I've see is 'orbit eyes' or 'Baja bushings' that Alcan used to have as an option for their springs. It was like a johnny joint in place of the leaf spring bushing but was always make strictly for offroad use only and I think only available when you bought a set of Alcan leaf springs - $$$$$$$$$$

Green Jeep

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »

Thanks guys, been working on latest Jeep (see mods thread)...

Yeah at the mo, the rear shackle is all most straight...

The articulation is very good, I jacked the Jeep up roughly in the middle and the rear tyre lifted slightly before the front... (small tyres on just for moving it in and out of workshop...)

Will put swampers on for punch hunt at weekend, and see how it goes, don't really want to lift Jeep higher unless needed.

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 12:22:35 AM »

can you not see what is stopping it flexing further when its at full droop? i would say the shackle is hitting the box that it sits in and maybe the shocks run out of travel. if you have lockers front and rear you dont need flex to be honest.

Green Jeep

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 10:42:03 AM »

can you not see what is stopping it flexing further when its at full droop? i would say the shackle is hitting the box that it sits in and maybe the shocks run out of travel. if you have lockers front and rear you dont need flex to be honest.

Hi,

I would say actual shock cant go anymore... thanks for all info, I think I'll stick as it is, don't want to put spacers on front etc, Jeep has really supple set up and good road manners, angles are all nice, .... cheers Maf

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »

Pics look alright to me, the rear never matches the front flex on any XJ I've seen (except a coil converted one) - I like it the way it is with leafs, feels stable.

scrw

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 10:15:12 PM »

I liked the OME springs + extended shackles I used to run on my old XJ, only 4" of lift but loads of travel

Green Jeep

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »

These will help http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=RC-1117&Category_Code=PFX

Yeah that's what I want! Anyone know a U.S. supplier that ships across the pond/someone to help? Also will need axle shims... any help/advice, all welcome, as ever thanks Maf

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 08:55:26 PM »

Why not just JJ it???
"Not all those who wander are lost"

The Smiths

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 09:36:41 PM »

I think I know someone that may have a set of them spare - if not sold

But just leaf springs and extended shackles will give plenty if they are set up right, this is nearly maxed out - probably only only a inch or 2 left, on 33" Mudzillas

If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015
Pages: [1]   Go Up