Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 75 CJ leaf spring bushes  (Read 1228 times)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
75 CJ leaf spring bushes
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »

Guys I need to replace all the bushings on my jeep (leaf spings) and shackle mount bushes. Can someone tell me what I need and where to get them from, thanks

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
Re: 75 CJ leaf spring bushes
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »

Lighthouse me thinks

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Nosebolt

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 07:31:41 PM »

also seen em on eBay but of offroading  go for rubber not neoprene, don't last as long but less stress on the metal bits when twisting the axles

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 09:44:54 AM »

Are the spring bushes the same as the shackle mount bushes?

Are these the right ones?

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/front-leaf-spring-front-or-rear-eye-921055.html

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 10:09:15 AM »

If every things standard then the spring eyes and the shackle eyes have the same bush and they are not expensive from Lighthouse either. They can be a pain to get out of the chassis though!
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 10:21:24 AM »

Thanks for that, I thought they looked the same, yes they do look like they are going to be a pain in the neck to get out, I'm going to make up a press using a large modified G clamp and I'll see if I can press them out, otherwise I may burn them out.

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »

Last time i did mine i slotted them with a hacksaw and then used a big hammer and a punch to bray the bush in on itself.
A bit of threaded bar with some big washers works for putting the new ones in and plenty of copper slip ready for next time :icon_winkle:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 07:55:26 PM »

When I was pressing out the old bushes from the springs and hangers I noticed the one of the bushes on the leaf spring was loose and able to be pushed out by hand, however if I use the same bush in one of the other holes its tight as normal, question is what do I do if I have the same problem with the new bushes, the springs are nearly new so I can't work out why its like this? I also can't work out why the bushes are all odd types (some correct style/some nylon and home made). The lift kit was a 4" Superlift kit, I would have thought they would have come with new bushes (prob utherane). any ideas suggestions, just ordered a full set of standard bushes off Lighthouse.

eastryjeep

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 05:09:45 PM »

Those steel sleeve bushes only go in the spring eye at the chassis hangars NOT the at the shackles.
The bushes that fit at the shackles look like rubber mushrooms with a hole down the stalk if you get my drift.
Two of the headed rubber bushes fit into the shackle end spring eye, with another two through the chassis mount (one from each side - four per corner) and then when you tighten the shackle bolts the rubber bush inside the spring swells to grip the spring and the shackle pin and the head forms a cushion between the spring, shackle and chassis mount.
So, you need 4 sleeve bushes and 16 rubber headed bushes, Lighthouse Jeep Parts can probably fix you up with a set.
Don't use oil when you assemble rubber components or they will just rot within the year!

Edit:
This site is getting dead cleaver innit?
I didn't add that phone number up there, it just popped up on it's own! Next thing you know, it'll do a spell check without being asked and then we'll never know who's been on the cider will we?

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 06:25:34 PM »

:hysterical: we did have a spell checker but the spelling police dissssablde it  :icon_winkle:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland
Pages: [1]   Go Up