Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: clutches  (Read 9902 times)

terry1956

clutches
« on: January 26, 2005, 04:00:36 PM »

Hi can anyone help please. I have need to renew the clutch on my cj5 V8. The old clutch is the three figures type ( not to good) Can anyone please tell me can I use the more up to date type of clutch.
Has anyone swapped the old type for the new type. The old clutch was borg and beck. thanks terry

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 11:58:32 PM »

hi terry the three finger clutch you have used to be called an auburn clutch  i think yours is an 80 81 cj5  ithink you will find that the only factory jeep to have an auburn clutch was the willys mb in more modern years they only seem to be used as perfomance clutches and ithink you will find that the one you have removed is an after market clutch and the corect round one can be got from lighthouse jeep parts in hopton diss norfolk for around £170 for the full kit they can suply next day most of the time
but if you can wait a week buy a heavy duty hayes clutch from fwd hardware in the us for around £140 methinks you have now solved your gearbox problem
hope all theis blurb is of some help to you :smt028

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

terry1956

Clutch
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 08:32:31 AM »

Thanks budda for that, I have been trying the US sites without much luck, they do not wish to send parts to the UK. I have had to but the jeep in a garage for the clutch work, due to are selling up and moving. Must keep the garage nice and clean, no oil and car things ;-(
I will give lighthouse a ring today and hope thats sorts it.
Yes the gearbox is done, a selector ring had turned 180, due to the retaining ball bearing dropping out.
Apart from the 20 mpg fuel bills, I am missing my jeep.
Thanks again for your input.
terry

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 10:28:06 PM »

4wd are happy to send to the uk are you fitin it yaself as its not to bad a job :flagbs:

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

terry1956

clutch
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 10:39:24 PM »

Hi.
No I am not fitting myselve, mainly due to selling house and having to keep garage car free. Also I have already send most of my heavy tools to france. I have placed an order with lighthouse, the clutch is £200 with VAT. A lot of money but it will get the jeep back on the road, also I needed to show that the jeep had been used for off roading. This led to the gearbox and clutch wear. The transmision housing was full of mud, not to good.
Anyway with luck the jeep will be back on the road by saturday and I can get on with enjoying it.
To be honest with you, it was nice to have someone else do the work, after rebuilding around 20 or so cars, from old mk11 jags to land rover lightweights and 110,s.
Thanks again for your help. terry

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 10:49:31 PM »

it seems that lighthouse are slowly raising  there prices if you had been able to get it from the states it would have been cheaper but i am glad to hear you are just about sorted  :smt006

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 11:02:01 PM »

Terry Please stay in contact once over the water

You'll need some dastardly input :D

terry1956

contact
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 09:15:29 AM »

Hi, Yes I will keep in contact with you all, and yes there will be timesI will need help. We plan to return around three times a year so her in doors can keep her skills and certs up to date. The rest of the time its play and more play.
But due to the jeep not being standard we will need to keep it on UK plates etc, so that means bringing it back from time to time. The france will not insure anything played with. There are some good things about the UK,but not much  :cry:

Mick O

• Mickosaurus
  • Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 09:17:47 AM »

:D  :supz:
I'm not a complete idiot.......................some bits are missing

AKA Jurassic O

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 06:59:52 PM »

sounds like you have got it all planed, i hope that it all works out for you and that you have a great time :P

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 07:41:37 PM »

what part of france i have frends between parthaney and noirt

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

terry1956

clutch
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 10:02:22 PM »

Hi, you asked what part , Normandy.  not the hottest part but it allows all to travel. and return to the UK with ease so she can work. Its also great for bass fishing. In places there are too many brits, in some villages around 90% but there are only 2 others and around 100 france.
We have owned the house 4 years. and are planning to move out ask soon has the house is sold and we but another one in the UK.
Its been a long 4 years and over that time the small village we live in has just gone time hill and you need to lock things up all the time,before it was great and the front doors and cars were always open.
Also the beer in oxford is S**T. Its not to good in normandy mind you.
The jeep is LHD and will pull the boat just right, also its great full with no doors on and, well you know that V8 sound. even better with tude manofolds and a single exhaust out the back.
terry

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 10:08:49 PM »

no no no terry tube hedders twin exhausts via side pipes
mine has fendrwell hedders straight it  cherry bombs
     LET IT ROAR
if you look at the opening page you can see em an my cj8 :smt028

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

terry1956

exhausts
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2005, 12:46:34 PM »

You made me lauge, when the exhaust needs changing I will go for the twin set up,but believe me this thing roars. its much much better with the clutch working as well  :D
terry
Pages: [1]   Go Up