Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The orrical of Birtys.  (Read 7091 times)

YT

The orrical of Birtys.
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:34:22 PM »

Consulting the orrical. :)
Past couple of mornings, jeep starts fine, but just before norm temp a feckin awful misfire kicks in at tickover. Bad enough to cut the engine and make it difficult to restart. It'll restart after about a minute and misfire will dissapear, but is running hot enough to cut the fans in.
Any thoughts oh wise folk of Birtys ?
Cheers. :) :)

YT

Re: The orrical of Birtys.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:20:51 PM »

Changed dizzy cap & rotor arm today, took it for a run, misfire, and fans cut in. Checked water level again and headed home. No sign of any issue at all. Smooth as silk tickover, strong acceleration and temp bang on 100c. What would be the likely hood of a dodgy temp sensor causing fuelling probs coming off choke first thing ?

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 12:01:43 AM »

breakdown in the coil or ht wires?
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

YT

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 09:10:22 AM »

Think we have it Sussed. Will know better today after I take it for a quick run. Fairly certain it's been fuelling due to false readings from temp sensor.

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »

This might help regards temp sensors.

YT

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 11:47:50 AM »

Recon the sensor was sending false readings to ecu, and fuel mixture was WAY rich as choke was comming off, due to low coolant level. Rad looked full, but header tank swallowed close to 6 feckin litres of water !

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »

sounds like you had an air lock  :017:

YT

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »

Would seem so. Just confirmed the above. Went out today, no misfire or overheating. Job done. On the upside the dizzy cap and arm needed changing anyway. :)

YT

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »

Oh feck ! It's back again. Low coolant level. 3.5ltrs of water to top it up. No creamy oil, no obvious signs of leaks.
Should it be using that amount of coolant in 2 weeks of just town/ stop start driving?
Planning to flush and drain system and sling a bottle of K seal in at the weekend.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »

does it continue to use water or just 3-4 litres cos I would be inclined to think you have a weep on the rad somewhere.

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 05:05:48 PM »

Think you probably know the answer already but; no it shouldn't be using that much coolant.
Regardless if whether you can see anything; you've got a leak somewhere or you've filled it up last time with the heater turned off. :D
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

YT

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »

does it continue to use water or just 3-4 litres cos I would be inclined to think you have a weep on the rad somewhere.
It took 6ltrs two weeks ago. So I would say it'll keep loosing water. Hopin the K seal will sort it, or anyone recommend anything similar.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »

personally i would drop the rad out and atake a look at it and look for any tell tale signs of leakage  then  replace if it is, K seal and that kind of thing is something you use as a final resort before trading it in ! lol

YT

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 05:26:50 PM »

That would be ideal, but can't have the truck off the road (disabled), and cash is a bit tight just now.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 05:48:45 PM »

it could be down to something as simple as the hoses allowing the water past as well, do you still have the original expand to release clips? or jubilee type?

warp

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 06:10:44 PM »

It might be worth having a look at the water pump, take jeep for a run so engine is warm & when you get back check to see if water is coming out as engine cools, may only be a trckle but it can add up. Also check around core plugs I had a hair line crack near one, was hard to find as water evaporates as soon as engine is warm, radweld fix it though

YT

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 06:16:47 PM »

it could be down to something as simple as the hoses allowing the water past as well, do you still have the original expand to release clips? or jubilee type?
Yeah, still got those. A mate is gonna have a look at the weekend to see if there's any signs of weeping from the system.

tag

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 06:21:27 PM »

Mine had drips of water on the drive after a run,  and dried water marks on the front of the engine looking from underneath ,   found a small rad leak  ,  replaced rad............. :icon_winkle:

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 07:08:17 PM »

the rads can leek on the ends were the plastic tanks fit to the metal rad
they leek when hot

YT

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 08:52:50 PM »

What sorta cost is envolved in a rad.

tag

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 10:12:31 PM »

I paid £120  for a re core exchange, but thats for the 2.5 engine ,  the guy said they were not as common as the 4 liter rad,   try the breakers first  thats assuming you need one , look for signs of leaks first........good luck :icon_winkle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JEEP-CHEROKEE-4-0-LITRE-RADIATOR-BRAND-NEW-/290647381136?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item43abef1490

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »

if you want to keep the jeep find a local rad place a see if they can build you a brass and copper one
will cost more but can be fixed with a bit of solder

YT

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 11:08:56 PM »

Rad could be suspect. There is a strong smell of hot water when I stop.

YT

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 03:27:48 PM »

I paid £120  for a re core exchange, but thats for the 2.5 engine ,  the guy said they were not as common as the 4 liter rad,   try the breakers first  thats assuming you need one , look for signs of leaks first........good luck :icon_winkle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JEEP-CHEROKEE-4-0-LITRE-RADIATOR-BRAND-NEW-/290647381136?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item43abef1490
Mate's coming over tomorrow to have a good check.
Thank for the link, decent price too. :)

scotty

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 08:41:01 AM »

i got a new rad from ebay a few months back for £79 but cant find the dude i bought it from now.its now cooling so well i may have to block a bit of rad in the winter! :icon_super:

scotty
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up