Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The orrical of Birtys.  (Read 7092 times)

YT

Re: The orrical of Birtys.
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 12:40:10 PM »

Once again, the wise ones of Birtys are on the money. Rad leaking from passenger side, and only when up to temp. When it started leaking today, it was pissing out. Switched of engine, have it a few mins then restarted, when it got back up to temp, nothing then when fans cut it it started leaking again but nowhere near as bad, but hitting the viscus fan.
How long did it take you to fit the new rad Scotty?

scotty

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 07:16:01 PM »

probs a hour ish? did a few things while in there put a inline temp gauge and flushed it all out the filled 50/50 with anti freeze that all took 2hours so just rad is faster.its not hard just lots of bolts to undo and the hydraulic fitting for the oil cooler(never did work how to get that off with out bending it a lot?) works a treat now even in deep deep mud at picadilly woods.

scotty

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 10:00:37 PM »

a trick I discovered to release the oil cooler lines was to use a small jubilee clip and push it on then tighten and it releases the fitting

YT

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 06:04:27 PM »

Ordered the rad today (from the eBay link) phoned him direct tho and got it for £95 inc next day deliv. :)  anyone any idea how much antifreeze is recommended for the system, and is it worth while using bought coolant, or just straight water/antifreeze ?

tag

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 04:54:54 PM »

I use glycol based anti freeze, keeps cool in summer,   50/50 ...........

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »

That's the mix I use..no probs from minus 25c to plus 43c over the last three years.

Lukemagnum

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2012, 09:45:34 AM »

The makers of glycol recommend using de-ionised water, I always mix 50:50 with de-ionised. You can get it in half gallon cans for a £1 something from Asda, when it's this cheap why put all the chalk and crap from tap water in your rad.

I learnt a while back that different brands may have different additives and shouldn't be mixed even though there are only two basic types of glycol, it has little to do with how much protection they give or what colour they are, rather that one type is poisonous and the the other is very poisonous. From that I'd suggest buying one brand only, put the glycol in the Jeep and stick to drinking beer and whiskey.

One other thing, don't mix red and green together, it makes a nasty rusty brown colour, probably not harmful but it certainly doesn't look good. I know - I've done it!

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2012, 04:06:28 PM »

I replaced my rad last feb and after flushing the system with the old rad in place I removed the block drain plug and then refilled with G-05 coolant and de-ionised water. And why do we call it a 50:50 mix ratio and not 1:1?

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »

Different strokes for different folks Jonny.. :icon_winkle:

YT

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2012, 06:25:07 PM »

Cheers guys. Got the new rad fitted today. The mate who done it refined he had more hassle changing a rad in an Astra he had, the quick release oil line just popped off by hand. :) the old rad was totally fubar'd, but can't complain as it lasted 17 years. All seemed spot on. Chucked a bottle of Kseal in when we filled the system as a belt & braces.

tag

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 11:57:38 PM »

Welldone,   now sit back and relax................. :greggmo:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up