Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.7 CRD leak off test question  (Read 7409 times)

a4c

2.7 CRD leak off test question
« on: March 03, 2013, 05:41:38 PM »

Hi all, new jeep owner here, so firstly thanks for all the information that's been posted on the site, it's been a great help already.

I've recently purchased an 03 Grand Cherokee that has a couple of little problems...

Firstly, black death - no biggie, new seals about to be fitted.
Secondly, white smoke out of the exhaust. Given that its white smoke & smells like diesel I'm thinking its possibly injector related so going to get them tested & replaced if needed while I have em out. Before getting them tested I decided to do a leak off test and got the following results:

Cyl 1 - 92
Cyl 2 - 66
Cyl 3 - 76
Cyl 4 - 76
Cyl 5 - 73

All of the above are in grams courtesy of the wife's kitchen scales. Shoudla seen her face when she found the scales in the garage with bottles of diesel on them :)

My take on the result is that 1 & 2 need replacing. Should I bother even getting them tested with this result or just get replacements?

My main question however is that when I was running the test there were small bubbles coming up all of the tubes that I attached to the injectors (a lot to start with but still some after 5-10 min idling)- The pipes were very tight onto the injectors, and I'd plugged the return so I'm thinking that there might be air getting into the fuel somehow which I think can also cause smoke?

The oil & water are both clean (i.e. no milkyness), it doesn't overheat, and the exhaust smoke isn't really damp so I'm assuming the smoke isn't indicating a head gasket issue.

The only error codes relate to low voltage (1511 from memory), and it starts and idles smoothly.

A small vid of both the smoke can be found here (so you can see the smoke colour - its about 5 degrees outside btw)

And the bubbles here

Any thoughts welcome on what else I should be checking?

Thanks again

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
Re: 2.7 CRD leak off test question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 05:51:47 PM »

Take it to a Jeep dealer, Have all 5 your injectors refurbed & retuned and have 'em replace all your fuel lines.

£1275 + £475 later all your worries will have gone away.

Tinker with a 2.7 CRD at your own perril.

Edit: excuse the curt reply.  Judging by the vids you seem to know what you're doing but still
the 2.7 will bite you in the back side.  It's got a secret programme that will kick in whenever a non
Jeep badged chappy + spanners is used. :003:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

a4c

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 05:56:35 PM »

Take it to a Jeep dealer, Have all 5 your injectors refurbed & retuned and have 'em replace all your fuel lines.

A great option if I was made of money, but regretfully I'm not hence looking for help here...

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 06:01:02 PM »

A great option if I was made of money, but regretfully I'm not hence looking for help here...

Neither are most of us here ...... but needs must  :010:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

a4c

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »

Neither are most of us here ...... but needs must  :010:

I enjoy getting my hands dirty so I don't think my need means I must take it to a dealer...yet...

Thoughts on the bubbles in the pipes anyone? Or other things to investigate on the smoke side for that matter?

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 07:52:35 PM »

Change the bleed off pipes and fuel filter, then and only then the O rings at the delivery pipes at the pump and such.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

a4c

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 09:24:28 PM »

Change the bleed off pipes and fuel filter, then and only then the O rings at the delivery pipes at the pump and such.

Cheers for the help. I've got new bleed off pipe ready (was going to fit it after I got the injectors refitted) and also new T pieces to go into the injectors. I guess the fuel filter is a service item so should definitely change that too. Fingers crossed that sorts my problem or will dig into the o-rings...

Thanks again.

tag

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 12:12:27 AM »

White smoke = unburnt fuel   black smoke overfueling    i had this on a landy years ago  was injector timing,  just something to mull over!   good luck........ :icon_winkle:

a4c

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 08:39:40 PM »

White smoke = unburnt fuel   black smoke overfueling    i had this on a landy years ago  was injector timing,  just something to mull over!   good luck........ :icon_winkle:

Cheers for that, I'll keep it in mind...
Pages: [1]   Go Up