Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions welcomed.  (Read 5909 times)

YT

Suggestions welcomed.
« on: May 23, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »

Ok, my legs are rapidly gettin more unreliable, and if I can't stand, I can't get into the Jeep, and I'm not havin that.
Here's the thinking. A small winch, one of the 1000lb compact jobs like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-ELECTRIC-WINCH-2000LB-REMOTE-CONTROL-QUAD-BOAT-ATV-/130437160383?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item1e5ea91dbf
Mounted between the roof rail and rain gutter that can be used to get me up to seat height from the wheelchair. Simplez
Questions.
Would the roof be strong enough at that point to support around 11st ?
Any other mount point suggestions or thoughts ?

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
Re: Suggestions welcomed.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 04:17:42 PM »

I recall I chap years ago had a red TJ Wrangler, he did something with the side steps to assist him, kind of a hydraulic boost jobbie, he also put a 700 auto gearbox in it………Can’t remember his name??  Anyone else remember ??
"Not all those who wander are lost"

dtooth

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 04:27:47 PM »

There are ways to strengthen the roof to been able achieve this ,Phil gimme some time o come up with something

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 04:33:04 PM »

Yes I helped him with tyre stuff at Tong in 2003 sort of time.
He had what looked like a step nerf bar thing on the side, it was wide enough for him to slide from his chair to the step ......with the door open"......he then hit a button and an electric motor on a
Screw thread raised him to seat height so he could slides over.pressbutton again and step goes down to be a rock bar again......

warp

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 04:33:46 PM »

This website might be worth a look at they make car seats for people who have problems with access

http://www.autochair.co.uk/store/swivel-seats-and-seating-systems/autochair-turny-swivel-lower-seat-system#

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »

Phil..can you get a photo of your roof rail and rain gutter set up?  Something taken from about beside drivers side rear door and with drivers door open, so we can see the relative position of everything. I'm sure that between us, we can come up with something usable.

Hang in there mate.

YT

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 05:18:41 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys. I dispatched herself to get some pics. A mount at about the center of the door/just behind the forward roof bar would be ideal. :)
The seats are a cracking idea, but if loose around £200 a month goin that route.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 05:49:30 PM »

if you tie into the roof bar rails so that the load is transferred along the roof rather than in one place then it should be able to take the weight of the winch, frame work might be an issue as ideally it will need to be rated in case of failure and severe injury to yourself
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

dtooth

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 05:56:56 PM »

bear with its a concept

self contained unit featuring a single pole which can be extended out from the roof line creating a straight pull and once at height the be used to pull you closer to entrance .

the lamp represents the winch which would mounted on a plate attached to the pole . if  the fixings are right could be transferable to other jeeps ..

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 06:52:45 PM »

We are all on the case...I like dtooths idea...maybe a 35-40" strip of metal to sit in the rain gutter, plus a supporting bracket to spread the weight along the side might be something to consider.

YT

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 07:00:49 PM »

Bit more info on what I need. Basically, all I need is to get me ass to the edge of the seat.  My thinking was keepin it real simple. If the fair lead was fitted between the gutter and rail, that gives me all I need. It'll spool out to the wheelchair (as close to the jeep as I can get it,) once it takes the strain it'll naturally swing/move me over, then just winch up to just above seat height, then by grabbing the 'Jesus handle' and spooling out, I'm in. The winch can be mounted anywhere to allow most strength/straight line pull.

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »

That's pretty how much how I'm seeing it Phil....get you up there, get you inside and out again, without breaking anything, or more importantly, you!

I won't give up....and I won't give in.....until we all find a solution.

YT

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 07:17:08 PM »

I forgot to say, the actual transfare bit would use a basic sling type thing that I could slide under my legs while in the wheelchair,  keeping the winch wire in front of me, that way I should be pretty much 'drop' into the right position to get in.

dtooth

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 07:34:56 PM »

If the winch fair lead on the gutter edge is good for you then its all about the winch that 2000lb winch is an overkill and according to their spec weights 20+ KGS which is quite heavy to have on the roof

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »

That's pretty much how I had it pictured ...much like I how I used to winch people into my helicopter..many years ago!

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 07:41:12 PM »

If the winch fair lead on the gutter edge is good for you then its all about the winch that 2000lb winch is an overkill and according to their spec weights 20+ KGS which is quite heavy to have on the roof

Again, I'm with dtooth..a 500-600lb winch should do the job, with plenty of margin.

dtooth

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 07:54:50 PM »

Exactly where I was heading  mate....that sort of system, but with a much bigger capacity.  :icon_super:

YT

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 07:55:30 PM »

Right, I'm off huntin smaller winches. :D cheers guys

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 07:58:14 PM »

Always happy to help Phil.  :icon_winkle:

Brachunky

• Guru
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: Wrangler TJ 4I6
  • Year: 1997
  • Brachunky
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 09:38:22 PM »

My son has one of Autochairs other devices called the Milford people lift which is a cracking bit of kit! He dont use it at the moment as the off roading was just too much for his body but the kit did the job!
A few installation pics of it fitted to my first XJ:
http://www.autochair.co.uk/store/person-hoists-and-transfer-into-vehicles/milford-person-lift

YT

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2014, 10:48:38 AM »

That's a cracking bit if kit, not sure there'd be room on the drivers side tho.
I've been searching fleabay, the 'box' winches are pretty similar in weight to the 'normal' type winch format, 20kg comes out at about 3st. Personally I think the normal type look neater/lower profile, so think I'll go that route.
 So, brace the roof to take the winch, then brace between the gutter and roof rail for the fair lead. Would 1/8" plate be enough ?

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2014, 03:32:53 PM »

It might be, but I'd opt for a tad thicker. The secret is the shape of the support bracket so you get the maximum weight distribution along the gutter...that will also increase fore and aft stability.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up