Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CJ brake issue  (Read 1604 times)

5536paulj

CJ brake issue
« on: July 08, 2018, 06:01:09 PM »

Hi all,
Last time I used the CJ was 7 months ago and I nursed it home as I had a brake fluid leak between the master cylinder and the servo, although after topping up it hasn't leaked since.... although it has been standing a long time.

Just had a good look over it today and can't see any leaks from the wheel cylinders or calipers and brakes feel pretty spongy, but then again they were never that great.

I'm assuming the master cylinder is shot, but would it take the servo with it if it's leaking out of the rear seal, servos pretty expensive...

Another long shot is that at the time I had the leak the engine got a bit hot (forgot to turn the fans back on after going through some water) could the heat cause the brake fluid to expand and slosh out of the reservoir - not convinced by this theory.. sounds like ballocks.

Any advice gratefully received before I start taking it apart....

djrr6

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7 AMC 360 5 gear wobbly thing
  • Year: 1981
Re: CJ brake issue
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 06:26:46 PM »

I’ve just got the master cylinder for my cj7 delivered from Rock for 27 so not too expensive to get over here with postage.
Not sure about slave as I need to fix mine somehow to plastic xj cylinder but cj version only 6 quid so might be worth just replacing both and being sure you have a working system.

johnnyboy

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: 79 CJ7 LHD 258 owned since 1980, 79 CJ7 LHD 304 quadratrack - nuts and bolts rebuild almost done...
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:09:51 PM »

Not wishing to take over the thread, but...

My master cylinder piston seals were leaking so I changed the master cylinder (Omix Ada, from Lighthouse) but now it appears it had also been leaking back into the Servo and now the servo is not working (nor holding vacuum...). And you are right about them being expensive :banghead:

It seems cheaper to get an aftermarket master cylinder / servo pair than an Omix Servo? Unfortunately there are dozens to choose from.

Anybody know what the best setup for a CJ7 would be?

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 09:22:07 AM »

get one for a yj will give better breaking too

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up