Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air injection system  (Read 6418 times)

Ric Jacques

Air injection system
« on: April 12, 2005, 09:39:03 PM »

Hi guys,

Sorry to be such a pain!  Started to clean up my engine today - just making progress where I can until my spares package comes from Morris Jeep.  It appears as though my Air Injection System has been removed completely, and the tubes into the manifold cut off and sealed up.  My question is do I need to re-instate it do you think?  Does it make a major difference to the running of the engine or emissions?

Ric.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 10:12:45 PM »

throw the lot over next doors hedge

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Ric Jacques

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 10:27:38 PM »

thanks bubba

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 05:28:46 PM »

If you haven't got a hedge to throw it over, then bury it.

Do anything except put it back on!

Ric Jacques

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 06:31:07 PM »

Wow - was it really that bad?   :shock:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 08:37:28 PM »

you got rocks in youre head ?

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Ric Jacques

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 08:59:42 PM »

LOL Well I might have!  Honestly this is my first CJ, MASSIVE learning curve, I  do airplanes not cars!  So why is it SOOOOOOOOOO BAD?  Please tell!

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 12:51:09 AM »

If i am right its to do with the emissions for the u.s.a.But im sure if i am worng bubba will put me straight.Thats why you dont need them over here and it will improve preformance.

Ric Jacques

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 09:43:04 AM »

Yeah I understand what it does - read about it in Chilton's.  It involves an air pump attached to the front left of the engine, which pumps 'fresh' air into the exhaust manifold, which allows some further combustion within the manifold, in order to reduce the emissions.

I guess it maybe causes higher pressure in the manifold thus impeding the exhaust gas on it's way out, causing a lack of power.  I suppose it would also have an effect on running temperature ie hotter.  Sound right?

UKJeeper

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 12:14:10 PM »

I'd like Bubba to throw some light here too. I have a feeling my SJ is going to have the same type of BS on it.

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 01:31:23 PM »

The system was a result of the smog laws of the seventies. These regulations are said to be responsible for the death of the muscle car.

If you have an older vehicle which does not need an emmisions test for the MOT then the best thing to do is bin the lot. This includes recirculation valves, vaccuum pipes and AIR systems. In an effort to meet the legulations the engines became totally 'choked' and unable to breath. This has a massive effect of Power output. At its worst 350 chevy V8's struggled to make 100 BHP.  You sometimes see vehicles advertised as be de-smogged.

The main problem with AIR is that the pump takes power away from the engine to drive it. The same goes for the alternator and the aircon and power steering pumps. Obviously, we want as little 'wasted' power as possible. There is also the problem of belts, pipework etc.

In effect all it does is inject clean air into the exhaust manifold. The engine is running just as 'dirty' but the emmisions out of the exhaust are 'cleaner'.

Work on the basic principle of induction, compression, power, exhaust. Basically get as much fuel in as possible, ignite it and get  the spent gases out as quick as possible.

Anything which hinders this principle, bury it.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 10:13:24 PM »

very nicely put

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Pages: [1]   Go Up