Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XJ springs  (Read 6829 times)

Tank

XJ springs
« on: April 25, 2005, 08:37:42 PM »

What a bastard of an afternoon.My new lifted springs arrived Saturday and today i finished work early so thought i would have a go at changing them.What a pig to do.its just taken me about 4 hours and i`ve only done 1 side.I think it was more a case of not having enough jacks and all my axle stands are being used to hold up my breaker.worse still,i noticed that rear shoes are none existent so i now have to get some shoes as well and on top of that it started to piss down when i was halfway through and its one of those jobs where i couldnt just leave it as it was as i was working at the side of the road.Any tips to make the other side easier?I hope that it shouldnt be so bad as ive now done 1 so have an idea of whats what but ant ideas are useful :cry:  :cry:

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 08:44:43 PM »

sounds like you are avin fun tank. i think you should have done the hole lot together, as in drop both sides off at the same time. not an easy job though mate. anyway i didnt know you needed new springs mate.

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 08:49:27 PM »

I didnt have the tools to enable me to do both sides and i didnt want to risk having both wheels off at the same time in case it fell.You obviously forgot mate as ive been saying for a while about my rear springs sagging and tto replace them :?  :?  :? I am now wishing that i could have done both sides but never mind,it means that i still have the other side and the brakes to look forward to :lol:  :lol:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 10:56:05 PM »

dont take so maney sarnies with you and the springs will ba fine

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 11:21:12 PM »

Me and Darky changed a set on Carmels cherry last yar.It was a right dastard, it took us two whole days to do and that was with a little help from Bubba late in the even.Good Luck mate.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 11:44:31 PM »

Yeah Good luck Mick

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 07:41:26 AM »

Did it in 4 hours on my own, rear spring bolts were the biggest problem, poped a socket on them, some photos on my site.
What kit did you use??

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 03:12:27 PM »

Steve when you say kit,did you mean what tools,or what springs :?:  :?:

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 06:35:27 PM »

springs.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 06:36:46 PM »

oh and did you do the bolts at the top of the rear shocks yet? they are fun, cheese bolts and rust dont mix :roll:

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 08:59:47 PM »

Steve,the springs i had made for me by a local spring supply company and i didnt have to touch the shocks as i was only replacing the springs at this time but they are one of the near future "to do" things once i finish the springs,the brakes,change all the axle/diff oils etc.Just trying to find some more limbs first to pay for everything :cry:  :cry:

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 09:23:30 PM »

Other side done now,and this time it only took about 1.5-2 hours so much easier.Probably as i had an idea of what i was doing and also i had sprayed the nuts/bolts with penetrating oil the other day when i changed other side.Still plenty to do but getting there 1 job at a time :D  :D

Motul

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 10:28:42 AM »

Glad to see ya gettin there now Mick  8)

Andy.

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 03:32:38 PM »

Springs were made to replace the other lift springs like for like,so it just brings it back up the amount it had sagged on the old ones :)  :)  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up