Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diff re-gear?  (Read 7126 times)

Motul

Diff re-gear?
« on: April 27, 2005, 02:57:09 PM »

Hi guy`s,

Anyone got an idea of cost involved in re-gearing the diff`s on my 93` XJ??...... and would it be 4.56 Front and rear to run 31" tyres (with no risk of failure)?? :smt017

Cheers

Andy.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 03:03:23 PM »

Assuming that the cost for an XJ is the same as a TJ, I have just been quoted:

Axle build up £250.00 + VAT
Ring & Pinion £245.97 inc VAT
Labour to remove and refit axle £175.00 + VAT

Axle build up price included putting in my own ARB locker at the same time

Labour did include fitting my own lower control arms and my own replacement shocks - so adjustments need to be made to price as you require less done.

I am regearing to currently run 33" but my last TJ with same gearing was on 35" with no problem - Dont know if XJ is same type of axle?

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 05:22:46 PM »

i wouldnt bother mate. chuck em on and see how you get on. i dont think you will need to regear. 8)

Woody

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 07:02:02 PM »

Agree with Greggmo most people only start to regear from 33" upwards.  Try it and see what the power feels like and if your fuel economy has dropped before deciding.

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 08:53:47 PM »

Motul,my XJ runs on 32`s and as far as im aware,hasnt been regeared.The only real problem i have is when i go up hills,but only because for some reason it wont kick down when you put your foot down and nothing to do with the tyres :)  :)  :)

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 09:41:15 PM »

dont re gear just for 31s leave it as it is

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 08:41:53 AM »

On motorways It'll be screaming it's tits off on 4.56 and 31's. Wouldn't bother unless you intend going bigger later. If you have an auto with power/comfort switch, leave it on power, helps compensate for the 31's.

Motul

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 11:38:52 AM »

Cheers you lot, so its "just" the money for the tyre`s I need to find, FEW!!

Tank, you sorted that prop ok mate ?

Thanx again guys  :wink:

Andy.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 12:50:33 PM »

Andy

let me know what tyres you fancy & i will see if i can get a deal off my daddy for you!!

Paul

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 03:33:27 PM »

Props all sorted,half way through changing springs,got rear shoes to change and i still have a sort of grating noise from front when in 4wd.Thought it was prop but as i changed both,it rules that out.Will check fluids but i think it could be more serious though. :?  :?  :?  :?  :?

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 07:00:39 PM »

Andy, you'll have to change the gear on the speedo drive if you go to 31s or you'll be reading low.

Motul

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 07:23:51 PM »

Paul - does your Dad deal with Greenway Tyres? as i was thinking of a set of 5 Macho`s, in 31.10.50R 15???

Mick - with the grinding noise, it does sound a little lube based, be nice for ya if thats all it is!!

Mike - hear what your saying mate, what`s that intail ? and how much d`ya reakon it`ll be out ?

ANOTHER ONE.......... I`ve rarely seen people going for bigger rubber on standard rims!! will I have to give the Jeep alloys some back spacers to allow for the extra circumference??

Sorry for the newb questions guy`s  #-o

Andy.

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 08:52:52 AM »

The speedo is generally 5% high as standard, 30" tyres tend to correct it to true MPH, 31s will make you read about 10% low. It takes about 10 min to change the gear, and they're £10-15 to buy.

31s are ok on stock 7Jx15 rims, you may get a little rubbing on the front on full lock, but you can adjust the lock stops out to stop this happening.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 09:08:02 AM »

Dr Mike
Who sells the gear for a TJ?

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 09:28:20 AM »

Jeep dealers or Lighthouse will be able to supply. look here for the correct one........http://www.gotjeep.net/speedo.html
Should apply to TJ and XJ.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 09:31:16 AM »

Andy, you do know that Greenways are retreads???

I grew up in the tyre trade & I personally wouldnt want retreads for every day use on the road........they might be great off road but notoriously hard to balance for road use!

I have asked them to find out a price for you & also what sort of deals are about for new, branded stuff.........

Will let you know shortly!

Motul

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 11:23:03 AM »

Hi KD, yes mate I did know they are re-treads, but at 50 odd squid each you cant go wrong really, and i`ve been running on Colway all terrain re-treads for 12mths now, and bloody things wont ware out!!  :wink:

Much respeck  :prayer:

Andy.

Motul

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2005, 11:26:02 AM »

Mike - sorry dude, got carried away in that last post at thought of nice big MT`s to say cheers for your wisdom mate  :smt023

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2005, 11:35:21 AM »

Thanks for this Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up