Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPod install on a '97 XJ  (Read 4912 times)

cartman

IPod install on a '97 XJ
« on: April 28, 2005, 12:46:25 PM »

We have the original Infinity entertainment system in our XJ and wanted to fit the IPod/Dension docking station that we originally had in our last vehicle. Then it was wired direct into the CD autochanger ports on the rear of a Sony head unit.

Now even though the Dension dock is a US manufactured device they do not seem to do a compatible system for Jeep of any variety!  :(

Ideally I do not want to go the way of a wireless/RF or tape adaptor but that looks like the only option at the moment and I don't want to change the Infinity head unit.

Has anyone else resolved this problem?  :shock:

cartman

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 11:24:09 AM »

No suggestions (practical/sensible)  :evil:

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 11:35:12 AM »

Halfords maybe?

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 11:12:48 AM »

I have the Denson setup in my '99 XJ.  After a lot of faffing about I found out that there is no way of connecting it to the mopar head unit.  The solution was to replace the head unit. I went for a Blaupunkt from bluspot.co.uk.  They do all of the bits you'll need; and at a good price too.

Alternatively you can connect to the later mopar units fitted from 99 onwards to the XJ 'Classics' don't know if it's an easy swap though.

Hope this helps.
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 11:16:05 AM »

I'm so dumb!!!    :banghead:  :banghead:

Go for a Sony unit!!!

The Infinity upgrade (If I'm rigtht - I think I am)  was an amp under the rear seat and speaker upgrade.  The head unit is a standard Mopar (Alpine I think) unit.  It's the same in all XJs of that age upto about '99-2000. So I wouldn't worry too much about changing it.  

This could be the reason your not getting much joy from people if your asking for the bits for a Jeep Infinity head unit; as far as I know they don't exist!!.

cartman

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 06:34:26 PM »

That's the one Chris. I knew that this was an option when the Jeep was ordered, just hoped there was a way round it without fitting a new head unit  :(

We have a Sony head unit to hand but where did you aquire the facia to replace the original Jeep setup, the place mentioned above?

Cheers, Paul

Halfrauds - Yeh right. as anything more technical than will this blue neon pack fit my Corsa and they go all unnecessary ;)

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 06:50:39 PM »

Try caraudiocentre.co.uk, caraudiodirect.com, caraudiodiscount.com, hendoncarstereo.co.uk or denison.com.

(Told you I'd done some looking.)

The fasia plate is about a tenner, and you'll need a wiring harness adapter.  MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ONE FOR THE INFINITY SYSTEM they're different to standard.

To remove the stereo grab the center console by the bottom corners and pull! It's as easy as that.  There are Two hex head screws holding the stereo in place (10mm I think).  Whip um out unplug the head unit from the loom, plug in your adapter, plug other end into Sony head unit stick it all back together and ENYOY!!

P.S. make sure you mount the Sony in the fasia plate the right way up (like I didn't)- the wider section goes at the top.  There's enough room to feed the wire for the Denison cradle between the centre console fasia and the dash.

The whole job should take about 20 mins.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 07:45:28 PM »

Whats wrong with blue neons under your Jeep....? :shock:  :werd:  :rotflmao:

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 07:47:13 PM »

Hi Stew :lol:  :lol:
Pages: [1]   Go Up