Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the Rover V8 FIT WELL INTO THE cj7  (Read 10210 times)

YZF426

Will the Rover V8 FIT WELL INTO THE cj7
« on: October 29, 2007, 06:13:42 PM »

:idea:
Can anyone help!!!!
I am after changing the 4.2 lump into a V8, NOT BY MAGIC MORE BY A STRAIGHT SWOP. Has anyone done this and if so what are the main obstacles.
I was initially thinking the Range Rover V8, but will take experience and knowledge before impulse buy from ebay.
Any help greatly appreciated, will want it sorted and driving b4 spring.

YZF426

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:07:03 PM »

bubba is your man to speak to when it come to the  v8s. 8)

YZF426

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 11:21:44 PM »

Well Bubba :lol:
Give us a lending chat on your wisdom please for the V8 for my jeep.
YZF426

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 11:23:25 PM »

i  have seen a cj with the rover v-eight engine fitted, can't tell you much more than that really, fat help i know but at least you know it's doable.

peter henry
"Not all those who wander are lost"

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 11:53:01 PM »

rovers will work but i think its a bigger job than an amc as i think they just bolt on to the jeep gearbox. what gearbox do you have fitted? bubba has internerd trouble at the mo so he cant get on here very well.

Ric Jacques

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 03:58:32 AM »

Quote from: "greggmo"
rovers will work

........sometimes.........

:lol:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 05:01:28 AM »

there used to be a conversion kit for the 215 cubic inch buick/aka rover v8 in the 60s 70s it may still be available however the amc v8 swap is...

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

YZF426

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 09:17:30 AM »

Bubba :idea:
YZF426

Dingo

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 11:43:49 AM »

The only rover v8 conversion I've seen had the gearbox and transfer case off the l##drover too. Looked pretty messy.
 Best to go with the AMC which would more than likely fit straight on to your gearbox(tell us what you've got), you'll need the V8 engine mounts, and can either bodge some exhausts together like moi or get the hedman fenderwall manifold and silencers(if you can call them that) like bubba's which sound great. AMC V8's are heavy and powerful so make sure your chassis is in good condition around the front spring hanging areas.

YZF426

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 09:29:34 PM »

The gearbox is a borg/warner 13-51-097-901 4speed mated to a c300 19-19 transfer box, this was originally mated to a 2.5cc engine, I have removed the 2.5 and retapped a new bell housing to mate to the 4.2. But have been constantly badgered to scrap the 4.2 project and replace from scratch to the V8. This may be a week link in the system but its all I have at the moment, might be good at the traffic lights mated to a nice little V8. So if you have one going spare or now were there is a gud un please support the worthy cause. I can supply pies,lager even been known to part with cash. I have purchased everything nearly for this toy from half doors,tonneau,chrome bits, nudge bars, towbar, weber carbs, centre consol even a front bra cover
The chassis has been sand blasted and sprayed a deep red and is in very good condition the jeep has a 2'' lift and sits on 33x12.5 ALLTERRAIN TYRES. Will push her out of the garage and post some pics this weekend weather permitting.
Please all info greatly appreciated. :idea:
YZF426

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 10:40:25 PM »

hold on there bald eagle um you seem to have an odd cj can you give some more info as to year of cj and its original spec as it dont seem to compute and my head hurts

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

YZF426

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 11:11:35 PM »

Will dig out the registration docs 2mrw, the jeep I was told was originally brought from Holland, this was then put in a blender and made one jeep out of two. When bought from just outside of Shrewsbury a couple of years ago I was given a spare chassis axles hard tops wings front panels etc, verifying two jeeps made into one. IF MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT ITS PRESENTLY REGISTERED AS A 1985 CJ7. I still have all the parts just incase. So I now I have a fun time mating parts up (if possible) but I hope I am in the right arena for guidance/information.
YZF426 :idea:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 11:27:05 PM »

it would seem to be a t4 [the later version] of the sr4] unfortunatly not the best gearbox for a v8 as the ally case can split you need to find out if you have the 151 cid or 150cid engine the i51 is chevy patern and will bolt up to cevy v8s and v6s but you would need to be sure of the engine but beware of the power as the t4 and sr4 are both light duty transmisions

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 11:30:30 PM »

as an aside to this point you may take the damn the torpedoes full speed ahead veiw and just see how much punishment the tranny will take

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

YZF426

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 08:26:42 PM »

:lol: .
YZF426

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 08:30:18 PM »

man i recon he would part with his bollocks befor the v8s mate. ya wanna look for an old full size in poor condition at silly money as they sometimes go for. havin said that i do know the fat one has just found a spare v8 :wink:

YZF426

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 08:38:54 PM »

:twisted:
Will travel and trailer away for the right unit.
YZF426 :idea:

Mick O

• Mickosaurus
  • Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 09:40:19 PM »

Quote from: "greggmo"
man i recon he would part with his bollocks befor the v8s mate.

Besides, I got first dibs on the first V8 the Fat One parts with. 8)
I'm not a complete idiot.......................some bits are missing

AKA Jurassic O

YZF426

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 10:25:49 PM »

:arrow:  :?:  :!:

YZF426

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 10:46:07 PM »

Does anyone now if the 360ci v8 from ford ranger any good. One on eblag at moment. Any assistance appreciated. :oops:
YZF426

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 11:13:47 PM »

That's an F100 Ranger (Ranger being a trim level). Interesting advert, given that the 360 was discontinued the previous year.

YZF426

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 06:31:40 PM »

DOES ANYONE HAVE ADVICE IF THIS WILL MATE UP TO A 4.2 BELL HOUSING

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 06:50:31 PM »

You are asking a question about an engine that was only sold in the States and not for very long. I suspect it won't. You need to ask on an American CJ forum. Try http://http://www.jeepsunlimited.com or http://http://www.pirate4x4.com

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 06:53:41 PM »

no need to shout. :lol:  i am sure there will be other thoughts on your question if ya give us chance.

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2007, 07:08:11 PM »

I'd be surprised if a Ford would mate up to an AMC bell housing without an adapter. Even if it did you would still need specific conversion parts like engine mounts, headers, radiator etc etc, as opposed to stock items.

It would be much cheaper to go for an AMC 360/390/401 unless you want to tune it silly.

Have a look on here.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up