Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the Rover V8 FIT WELL INTO THE cj7  (Read 10212 times)

YZF426

(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007, 07:44:56 PM »

Cheers
Just want to make sure Ive got a suitable unit for the hibernation period to play with. This truck is out in spring even if Ive got to tow it on a trailer.
Now I no which engine is compatable the hunt will be on for a donor vehicle :shock:
Impatient as I am there are loads of Rover V8 with transfer boxs on eblag, but would like to retain the jeep heritage a bit. Thats why I am asking for your help fellow jeepers.
YZF426

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2007, 08:09:37 PM »

have a look here for some ideas............ http://http://www.advanceadapters.com/

peter henry
"Not all those who wander are lost"

ferretjuggler

(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2007, 08:14:01 PM »

If you have a dana 300 transfer box would an early Range Rover (sorry for swearing) auto box bolt up to it?
Range Rovers used Chrysler Torqueflight autos and CJ5/7 did too but bolted up to a Dana300.
I dunno how far you can go without machining stuff, but you wont find out from Novak's knowledge base it aint covered.
Anyone on here know if it will bolt up?

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2007, 09:56:25 PM »

the ford wont fit you need to find a fullsize 70s early 80s jeep for the engine the gear box will most likly be a th400auto but that will not fit properly to your cj7 as they use an offset diff to the rear axle so realy you need any manual jeep box bar the one you have got sorry for the slow reply do you prefer  auto  or manual

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

YZF426

(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007, 09:10:04 AM »

Not that bothered at the moment re manual verses auto box, prepared to put up with any transmission as long as I get the v8 in this winter and the truck covering the miles in the spring/summer :!:

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2007, 09:47:24 AM »

Keep an eye on Ebay for a full size Cherokee/wagoneer. They're usually total rust buckets but the engines survive fine and a lot have the 360. You can pick up a whole vehicle for a few hundred quid. You couls also call Lighthouse Jeep, they break them up so might have a 360 lying around.

UKJeeper

(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2007, 10:58:57 AM »

Quote from: "Mike Pavelin"
Keep an eye on Ebay for a full size Cherokee/wagoneer. They're usually total rust buckets but the engines survive fine and a lot have the 360. You can pick up a whole vehicle for a few hubdred quid. You couls also call Lighthouse Jeep, they break them up so might have a 360 lying around.

FUCK OFF!!!! ALL YOUR RUSTED OUT, £200 PIECE O'SHIT EBAY FULL SIZE JEEPS BELONG TO ME!!!  ME!! YOU HEAR ME!!!!  :x

Sorry, sherry hangover....  :roll:

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2007, 11:48:59 AM »

HEHEHEH

UKJeeper

(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2007, 11:58:07 AM »

Quote from: "Mike Pavelin"
HEHEHEH

Fawk off to France already, you git!  8)

YZF426

(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2007, 06:21:39 PM »

:shock:
Steady chaps, thanks for the advice. Will search high and low for the item. If your saying they are all yours then thats just a tad greedy when I am in need :twisted:

djrr6

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7 AMC 360 5 gear wobbly thing
  • Year: 1981
V*'s and gear boxes!!
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2007, 09:59:49 PM »

this thread has intreagued (think thats how its spelt) me as i ave stripped tub off 1981 cj7 151cu jeep and found that my gearbox - the four speed- has an ugly ford stamp on it?!!?

Unless Bubba corrects me I thought the 151 was a pontiac made engine for GM and mated to jeep box and transfer case which was then replaced by 150 amc version in 82?

have i got a ringer gearbox or is this correct?

I have 360 sat in corner of garage that i'm not going to get around to fitting until i've re-built body so if i do change it over i want to know i've got the right parts in first place!

YZF426

(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2007, 09:51:52 AM »

:!:

[img]

djrr6

• Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2007, 06:41:46 PM »

well i bought 360 from CJ king with full intention of fitting it then i thought i'd check how bad body work was first and resulting nightmare of stripping it all off and putting on new tub has made me put off the 360 conversion and will stick wth small engine for now.

if you want then PM me and sure we could dort something out for it as i dont want to hold onto it whilst someone else is ready to get heir cj back on road as well. also have gear box and transfer case i got with it if i look around the garage

YZF426

There is a god
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2007, 06:17:17 PM »

PM Enroute.
YZF426 :twisted:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2007, 06:31:32 PM »

if i were you i would consider a chevy v6 and use your original bell housing bolt pattern but that may mean you would have to grind the inside of the bell housing to clear the chevy clutch and flywheel only slightly but still a bit
if you are just going to go 360 and see how hard ya gear box is cool at least you can keep an eye out for another box i am assuming  that djrr has assembled the bits n bobs to fit a 360 so you will be getting them at the same time

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

djrr6

• Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2007, 12:28:04 PM »

yeah i've got 3 speed manual and transfer box as well with bellhousing so ready to go apart from requires flywheel sorting out.

had every plan of whacking into mine however i thought i'd try sort body out first after climbing into tub and foot going through the floor.

have since bought welded tub in v good nick from scotland and the big re-build is well under way however may have to polish up my painting skills as looks like its melting theres that many runs on it.

UKJeeper

(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2007, 01:32:01 PM »

Just thought i'd add this.

I have heard, from a mate of mine recently returned from a large car show in Vegas, that there is a now a company making and selling a plug in wiring system that will allow a 4.0 (including the EFI bits) to be bolted easily into any vehicle. And tuning can be done by plugging into a laptop.

If anyones interested that is... :wink:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2007, 02:56:34 PM »

...and if that 4.0l becomes a 4.6/4.7 stroker engine with 280 hp / 320+ ft lbs  :shock: )

ferretjuggler

(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2007, 10:51:57 AM »

I'd be interested in tracking down the website or email addy of the firm making that wiring harness for the 4.0 H.O. lump.
I aquired a 4.0 lump a few weeks ago in one of my more bizare ebay purchases, (got it for the £40 start bid and then the guy didn't really wanna part with it)
Being as I had to rip the engine out of his '96 cherokee on his drive by myself, I only ended up with half the MPI system, (ran out of time and working by torchlight)
I assume this adaptor harness would include all the connectors to the ECU and the injectors??

YZF426

HERE ENDETH THE LESSON
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2007, 09:46:09 PM »

So if you are thinking of a Rover V8 good luck, or you can be a nosey t-at and ask for a AMC 360 AND PREY ALOT.
GOOD LUCK
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
YZF426

monkeybiz

(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2007, 09:32:21 AM »

there is no reason why a v8 and torqueflite wouldnt fit.

ah i seem to have a spare one complete with a TF727 and lt230 and drive shafts.........going cheap

hmmmm  :lol:

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2007, 10:00:40 AM »

Anything will fit if you have the skills, time and cash to do it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up