Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TJ Rear disc conversion  (Read 3674 times)

46stm

TJ Rear disc conversion
« on: December 20, 2007, 01:46:31 PM »

Hi folks,

Has anyone got any opinions or advice on a rear disc conversions on a TJ, mines a 1997 and am thinking about going this route.

Cheers
Steve

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 02:08:45 PM »

Get round ones.

Bigmadgregor

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 02:18:49 PM »

is that not kind of implied by the word disc?   :wink:

Asylum

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 02:49:29 PM »

http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail ... &year=1997

Obviously dont buy direct, better prices are to be had from 4wd.com or Quadratec.

8)
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 04:00:10 PM »

yup ssbc make good stuff never fitted one to a tj but i am sure it would be as excellent as the cj kit

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 05:46:39 PM »

i have that kit on order from 4wd right now, hoping it will arrive so i can fit it over the xmas break.

If you can wait a bit, i can give you a full run down  :wink:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

Mik

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 10:18:47 PM »

Be aware my friends that the SSBC TJ disc conversion, whilst a most excellent piece of kit, is NOT as 'bolt on' as it appears.
IMHO one would be unwise to fit this kit on the drive and expect to use your Jeep on the same weekend.

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 11:06:40 PM »

more to it than meets the eye Mik?

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 07:59:39 AM »

Quote from: "Mik"
Be aware my friends that the SSBC TJ disc conversion, whilst a most excellent piece of kit, is NOT as 'bolt on' as it appears.
IMHO one would be unwise to fit this kit on the drive and expect to use your Jeep on the same weekend.

:? what have i let myself in for Mik :?
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

Mik

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 08:02:48 AM »

1) The instructions are different to the assembly diagram which means assessing both and deciding for yourself which is best/correct.

2) The caliper is a multi application unit and has a loop cast onto it which serves no purpose on a TJ other than the get in the way. I removed it.

3) The brake pipes on the axle need to be shortened/replaced requiring a brake pipe flaring tool, pipe and unions.

4) Brackets need to be fabricated and welded to the axle tube to secure the new rubber hose to the existing (modified) brake pipe. Two spring clips to hold the brake hose securely are needed.

5) The best place (I found) to mount the handbrake brackets is welded onto the axle tube at a jaunty angle. The suggested bolt mounting would kill the cables in no time and pull the cables at full articulation (depending on your lift).

6) The airbox needs to be removed to facilitate fitting the new master cylidner (it fits back, just)

7) A new master cylinder pipe needed to be made to accomodate the greater distance between the M/C and the distribution/proportioning block. The shorter one can be made to fit.

Eight) The new axle studs were far tighter than the instructions suggested. They needed to be pressed in rather than the instructed 'pull them in with the wheelnuts'

9) All for calipers need to be bled up. All four nipples need to be servicable

10) One of the bolt sets supplied was the wrong size requiring access to a supply of UNF bolts of the correct size.

11) The supplied shims for caliper centering were awkward to fit and will make subsequent caliper service difficult.

Apart from that, it was easy :roll:

Steve B

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 01:00:48 PM »

I have read on the american forums that you would be better off fitting the std. jeep disc parts which come with later model jeeps.

steve

46stm

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 10:04:36 PM »

cheers folks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up