Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: out of control cherokee  (Read 2972 times)

micky57

out of control cherokee
« on: December 26, 2007, 11:08:11 AM »

hi,
    my cherokee is a nightmare on the road, steering seems loose and hard to keep control, worse on moterway,not had it long its my first one, dont no to much about them , but this cant be normal getting to the point where i think its dangerous, anybody got any ideas,
     many thanks
ps i,ts a 98,cherokee tdi 2.5, just gone through mot two months ago,one back tyre looks wider than the other but they say that they are same size?
   thanks again, mick

dtooth

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 01:51:49 PM »

lo  micky57

poor steering is not normal on a cherry unless its been lifted execessivily.

Tyre pressuses are the easist thing to check and can make you motor wander all over the place.

You say one of the back wheels look wider than the rest is it the same make as the rest ? are all the wheels exactly the same ? is there a spacer on that wheel, if not the jeep may be crabbing due to impact or poor set up of axles .

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 02:15:15 PM »

hiya and welcome to birtys, please post an intro :wink:

i would check tyre sizes, tyre pressures, wheel sizes

if they all the same maybe your steering stabiliser, do you get a wobble or just vague feeling from the wheel ?

steve
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »

it shouldnt fell that bad

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 08:09:33 PM »

hi and welcom to bity's

poor steering and grip.

check conditions of the front tyres, if the tread is low then you will have poor grip on the front and the jeep will under steer.
 check the steering stabilzer if this is shot then the steering will feel vague. disconnect one side of the damper (looks like a shock lying sideways on the front axle), if you can push it in and out with no resistance then it will need to be changed.
 have a look at the track rod ends on the wheel hubs to see if they move, if they do then they will need to be changed.
 there is an adjustment section in the steering control bars check to see if the 2 "jubilee" style clamps are tight if not then tighten as this will cause a vague steering.
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

micky57

cherry steering
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 09:36:51 AM »

Quote from: "dtooth"
lo  micky57

poor steering is not normal on a cherry unless its been lifted execessivily.

Tyre pressuses are the easist thing to check and can make you motor wander all over the place.

You say one of the back wheels look wider than the rest is it the same make as the rest ? are all the wheels exactly the same ? is there a spacer on that wheel, if not the jeep may be crabbing due to impact or poor set up of axles .

thanks for your help,

micky57

cherokee
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 09:38:54 AM »

Quote from: "Dave69"
hi and welcom to bity's

poor steering and grip.

check conditions of the front tyres, if the tread is low then you will have poor grip on the front and the jeep will under steer.
 check the steering stabilzer if this is shot then the steering will feel vague. disconnect one side of the damper (looks like a shock lying sideways on the front axle), if you can push it in and out with no resistance then it will need to be changed.
 have a look at the track rod ends on the wheel hubs to see if they move, if they do then they will need to be changed.
 there is an adjustment section in the steering control bars check to see if the 2 "jubilee" style clamps are tight if not then tighten as this will cause a vague steering.

thanks ror your help,it,ll give me something to do over the holidays, cheers mick

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 10:24:37 AM »

the tyres look a different size cos the axle is kicked over to one side. tis the front track bar at a guess or even the track bar bracket as they did recall some cherrys for them to be strengthened. welcome to birtys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up