Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I BOUGHT THE CHEROKEE !!!!!!!!  (Read 3185 times)

4.0 1998

I BOUGHT THE CHEROKEE !!!!!!!!
« on: February 03, 2008, 04:59:41 PM »

Hi guys, I bought the 4Litre Auto JEEP off of my mate....

Can you help me out with a few questions please ?

How and when can you change into or out of 4wheel drive ? do you have to be stationary ? Do you have to be in park or can you do all this on the move?

I don't have any info on it and don't to kill the box...

I played it safe and came to a stop and put it in PARK and she'll go into all of the 4wheel options and Nuetral but she won't go into 2wheel drive....

any advice would be great......

Cheers.....

p.s. what a noise that lump makes a ?! LOVELY !

tag

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 05:48:55 PM »

If it's a 231 t/c  and you can't get 2wd i wouldn't drive around in 4wd you could do a lot of damage to the t/c,  it's a part time 4wd t/c only to be used on slippery surfaces  gravel, fields, mud, ice, etc...... have a look at your linkage under the jeep make sure the arm that comes out of the t/c is moving fully back and fully forward as you select 2 and 4 wd you may have to disconnect the linkage and work the arm manually to check the travel. hope this helps........

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 05:52:58 PM »

It's a Uk 4.0, therefore it's an np242 t/c  :wink:

4.0 1998

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 05:55:15 PM »

I'm told it's an NV242 which has full time 4WD for the road, tarmac etc so I'm ok on that front....

I'll get underneath it with some WD40 and a great big hammer and go from there !  :lol:

Anyone else have any probs with this ?

Thanks.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 06:07:41 PM »

If you can't get into 2wd, try some more and you might just get it. If you still can't, then make sure you drive it on the street in 4wd Hi Full time.
Not sure I'd bother with either WD or a hammer. Try readingthis instead. It'll tell you all about your transfer case.

xjlee

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 06:13:45 PM »

The thing with cherokee's is that the 4wd in part time winds up a lot, ok in permanent 4 but when you move the lever back into 2wd, pop it into neutral but leave the car still rolling forward but ever so slightly, at a crawling pace or even slower! Either that or select 2wd, and shunt the car forwards and backwards a few times and you should here the transfer box disconnect itself from 4wd... :wink:

Mort

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 06:48:56 PM »

It's a 242 Transfer Case with Full-Time 4x4 as standard.  In order (from the front) the settings should be 2WD, Part-Time 4x4 (High Ratio), Full-Time 4x4, Neutral, Part-Time 4x4 (Low Ratio).

You can shift between 2WD, Part-Time 4x4 (High Ratio) and Full-Time 4x4 whilst moving at speeds up to 55 mph.  The logic behind this is that if you are in Full-Time 4x4 or 2WD, and need to shift to Part-Time 4x4, then you won't want to stop and lose momentum to do that.

To shift into Part Time 4x4 (Low Ratio) first STOP.  Put the transmission into Neutral (NOT Park), take the Transfer Case through Neutral into Low Ratio, select the gear that you want, and proceed.  If that doesn't work then try the above when rolling forward at 1-2 mph, as this sometimes helps.

When you select either of the Part-Time 4x4 settings the Yellow Light on the dash should illuminate.  when you select Full-Time 4x4 then the green light will show.  When you select 2wd then no lights will show.

Take a look behind the driver's sunvisor and you should find a sticker that explains this.

If I were you, I'd run in Full-Time 4x4 at all Times except when you are off-road.  Then select the most suitable Part-Time setting.  Fuel consumption in Full-Time will be marginally lower, but the handling will be a lot better.

Exercising the Transfer case by going through all the settings whilst drivng on a slippery surface will help.  These Transfer Cases often get a bit sticky when they're not used for a while, but will generally losen up with use.

In case you're wondering, the difference between Part-Time and Full-Time is that Part-Time locks the axles together, and they will then turn at the same speed. This gives better traction in the slippery stuff, but makes it impossible to go around corners when on tarmac.  Full-Time allows the axles to turn at different speeds, so you can go around corners on tarmac without the vehicle jumping all over the place due to axle wind-up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up