Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CALLING MIKE PAVELIN !!!!!!  (Read 3375 times)

4.0 1998

CALLING MIKE PAVELIN !!!!!!
« on: February 03, 2008, 07:17:36 PM »

Hello Mike,

I'm told you're the man to talk to about my Transfer box selection problems..... :roll:

First of all it's a 4.0L Limited Automatic 1998 (PURPLE)

I can get the Jeep into all of the 4WD selections and Neutral but I can't get her into 2WD, the lever just won't go in, it's seems to stop going forward and nothing engages, if there is a light on the dash for 2WD (I don't know) then that hasn't come on yet...

Also, while I'm tapping your brain for knowledge I get quite a knock from the underneath when I go from Reverse to Drive or vice versa, the UV's seem ok the slack seems to be where they go into the box inbetween, I'm told there's a chain in there that may need replacing, sound right to you mate ?

Cheers....

Hope you can help !

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 08:22:38 PM »

There is no 2wd light. There is a yellow 'Part time' and a Green 'Full time' and no indication for Neutral. If the lever is not moving fully forward in it's gate the linkage may be damaged or out of adjustment, if you look underneath you'll see a metal block with a pinch bolt holding the selector rod to the linkage. Slacken the bolt, move the linkage and the lever to where you want them, then tighten again.  

The problem with the 242 is that the shift pattern passes through part time when going from full time to 2WD. If there is any difference in front and wheel axle speeds when it passes through part time it can start to wind up the transmission, causing it to stop the selector in the 'box moving to 2wd even though the lever is all the way forward because the shift mechanism loads up a spring rather than directly moving the shifter fork inside the 'box and too much windup will make the geartrain too tight for the spring pressure to overcome.  The 231 does not have this problem as the shift fork isn't spring loaded.

The best way of shifting a 242 into 2WD is to be driving in a straight line (up to 60mph IIRC, although not if you want to go into low range!) and move the lever smartly into the position you want while feathering the throttle lightly on/off power. If it is showing the yellow light it is still in part time. If it won't come out, find a loose surface, stop, and then give the jeep some welly to spin all the wheels. After a couple of attempts it'll pop into 2WD and the light will go out. Antisocial but effective.

They do thump a bit when going from drive straight to reverse. First thing is to see if it still does it when you're in 2WD, if it doesn't make any difference, it ain't the chain 'cos that only drives the front axle.

4.0 1998

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 09:21:05 PM »

That's a great help Mike Thanks alot, I'll try all that next weekend....

Love the sound getting all 4 wheels spinning, hahahahahaha especially if it will help, i've got lots of loose stuff where I live so that shouldn't be a problem.....

I'll let you know how I get on....

Thanks again.

:D

Mort

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 10:56:13 AM »

I put some information about the dash lights, and other stuff that I thought might be useful, in your last thread on this subject.  I guess you missed it. :?

4.0 1998

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 07:22:18 PM »

Thanks MORT, you guys are really helpful, i'll go look for it....

I tried the "shifting it smartly in 2WD while going along and feathering the throttle" method and it didn't work....

Guess I'll be underneath it the weekend playing with linkages, looking forward to that, big boys mechano here we come !

if that fails I'm gonna check the Chain that drives the front axle (replace if needed) and leave it in 4WD "full time"

it's only done 59,000miles and was left permanently in 4WD full time so I reckon she wants to stay like it for now.....

Bless her....

While I'm here and asking questions what is the difference on the "high output" 4litre engine ????

Taaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

:?:

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »

All UK spec 4.0s are the Chrysler High Output version. Only pre 1991 Versions had the slightly less powerful Renix (renault) fuel injection.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 07:41:02 PM »

As Mike says, it's mainly the renix (renault/bendix) injection. Also cylinder head is different, intake and exhaust manifold. Has a closed rather than open cooling system. From memory, 20bhp (ish) less, though it depends upon year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up