Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: johnny Joints Control Arms in pro  (Read 4308 times)

Warthog

• Bla, bla, bla....
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Proper Job!
johnny Joints Control Arms in pro
« on: October 31, 2007, 01:15:41 PM »

Well, the large learning curve on suspension mods has been finally jumped on (again) and after the successful destruction of axle mounts (TWICE) The fixed polybush arms that came with the 4" kit for Asylum TJ are being scrapped! Cheers Terraflex :smt023 ) If you are gonna pound on your truck that bit more often. Long Arm would seem to create less force/stress on the mounts chassis and axle.

Top arms are stockers and are next to get it! They twist a tad too much now :wink:

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 02:19:41 PM »

Should've got RE Superflex lower arms to start with. They have the large JJ at the axle end for lots of flex in all directions and retain the stock rubber bushing at the chassis end which is better at soaking up stress creating forces on the mounting than a poly bush.

Warthog

• Bla, bla, bla....
  • Forum Member
  • Proper Job!
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 05:37:43 PM »

Quote from: "Mike Pavelin"
Should've got RE Superflex lower arms to start with.

Spend money on branded products?
Na, that would of spoilt the fun making them :wink:

dtooth

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 06:04:55 PM »

i've got those superflex arms (second hand) wondered what end went where  :banghard:

Steve B

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 06:24:05 PM »

They look wicked, I love it when people make stuff rather than buying off the shelf.

My current project for my TJ is a true flat skid. I have removed the std. and jacked the gearbox up as far as I can. With a bit of clever relocating of the AV mounts I can put a flat plate underneath. This should gain about 3" of ground clearance.

I have 1" engine lifts, 1" body lift. The 4wd linkage is being relocated. And a subframe made for the AV mounts. All I will need to buy is a Driveshaft kit from Tom Woods in the States.

The drawing is of the linkage relocator, this will just be mounted to the gearbox and not the body/gearbox.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 06:44:46 PM »

sweet

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Mik

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 09:07:43 PM »

Quote from: "dtooth"
i've got those superflex arms (second hand) wondered what end went where  :banghard:

Rubicon Express have the JJ at the axle end whereas Clayton for example favours the JJ at the body end.

I think there are more reasons for the Clayton way of thinking.

dtooth

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 04:08:02 AM »

To honest Mik i've run them both ways and the only thing i've noticed is the knocking i get if i run them jj axle end  :?

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 08:50:51 AM »

I would just say that the stock bushings absorb a lot of shock and stress. If you have Jhonny joints, heim joints or the like at one end of the control arm, I wouldnt use a poly bush at the other end. The stock bush is more forgiing and is likely to reduce the risk of breakage.

Mik

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 09:06:45 AM »

Quote from: "Mike Pavelin"
I would just say that the stock bushings absorb a lot of shock and stress. If you have Jhonny joints, heim joints or the like at one end of the control arm, I wouldnt use a poly bush at the other end. The stock bush is more forgiing and is likeley to reduce the risk of breakage.

+1

Mik

Re: johnny Joints Control Arms in pro
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 02:08:33 PM »

Quote from: "Warthog"
Top arms are stockers and are next to get it! They twist a tad too much now :wink:

You can have this little collection for £50 if it helps

Asylum

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 08:33:54 PM »

Quote from: "Mik"

Is that a pair or singular mik? Can it be used for front and rear uppers or just front?

Cheers
Clayt

PS Just got some more JJ's to keep Hog busy again for a while. He must hate me. Got projects coming out of my ears on my truck, so much so he hardly has time to work on his own!!!!
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Warthog

• Bla, bla, bla....
  • Forum Member
  • Proper Job!
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 09:44:18 PM »

Quote from: "Asylum"

Is that a pair or singular mik? Can it be used for front and rear uppers or just front?

Cheers
Clayt

PS Just got some more JJ's to keep Hog busy again for a while. He must hate me. Got projects coming out of my ears on my truck, so much so he hardly has time to work on his own!!!!

Those arms are gonna be "No Good" on 404 axles  :lol:  :lol:

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 02:00:05 PM »

if you don't want them & they are a pair, I'll have them  8)
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 04:23:46 PM »

It looks like a spare upper link from Clayton longarms and a couple of JJs taken apart??? The link wouldn't bolt in to standard suspension if this is the case, I got the impression Mik was just offering you it to dismantle and use parts from??? I'll be corrected I'm sure.

Mik

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 04:53:16 PM »

Quote from: "JamesH"
It looks like a spare upper link from Clayton longarms and a couple of JJs taken apart??? The link wouldn't bolt in to standard suspension if this is the case, I got the impression Mik was just offering you it to dismantle and use parts from??? I'll be corrected I'm sure.

Sorry if I wasnt clear, I didnt mean it to be a quiz. Youre quite right James, the spare upper link (new) could be easily butchered for components and the two Joints (Daystar 2" (new)) are for 'build your own upper arms type people' and are unfinished for welding into your own fabrication.

Mik

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 09:11:50 AM »

Quote from: "Warthog"

Still got this lot cluttering up the shop.

Anybody ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up