Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: creaking groaning yj jeep  (Read 3018 times)

aaron

creaking groaning yj jeep
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:16:28 AM »

anybody got any ideas about whats going on with my yj... it makes a clunking shuddering noise coming from the back of the vehicle .this mainly in first when letting the clutch out.. i suspect its the diff or prop misbehaving .. it only does this when hot and is worse on hot days.. oil is ep90 ls gl5 with mopar additive fitted but i dont think i have an L S unit fitted as when jacked up wheels act like open diff.. and it only looks like an ordinary diff internally... however there can be positive drive to both rear wheels as if the diff is locked out  at times when applying the loud pedal it can be scary in the wet coming of roundabouts!!!! it also pushes the front wide in the wet first... understeer before big wadges of oversteer.. or is this normal ??? am considering changing diff oil for fully synthetic 75w90... of course the creaking may still be prevalent... is this about to go bang or should investigate further... also can any body help out with somewhere to get leaf springs for yj that don't cost a small fortune ? surely somwhere has standard springs in stock that dont cost the earth? been qouted over £400 is a bit much considering how much the cost stateside..

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 07:35:50 AM »

It should have a Trac-Loc limited slip in it. Post up a decent photo of the internals when you take the cover off to change the oil.

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »

sounds the same as mine was. it will be a rebuild if you want it to stop making mad noises. the thing is though it will most likely keep going as mine did before i moded it.

aaron

groaning jeep...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 11:35:14 AM »

thanks guys ... turns out it is the rear wheel hub bearings are shot...quite worrying really as they were not making the usual wounded aeroplane noise that you come to associate with buggered wheel bearings..  just this increasingly horid clunking in first and reverse.. so there you go... anybody got any experience of using morris 4x4 in the states to get stuff shipped out???? got wheel bearings from Outback Automotive in london pretty good like, £40 including seals...

BK

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 03:26:27 PM »

try www.llama4x4.co.uk for springs, talk to dave he imports stuff from www.roughcountry.com in the US im sure hell sort summat out for you :wink:
Pages: [1]   Go Up