Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: parts from the states  (Read 45958 times)

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2004, 08:55:43 PM »

that seems strange my lift kit, which was bloody heavy,was only about $160 and that was ups. something is wrong there mate. :werd:

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2004, 08:58:07 PM »

Well Trent for a moment i thought it was made of solid lead but no,its just a normal sort of construction.Its whats called a "Four Real Steel World Challenge Series Front Winch Bumper" and would cost $559.95 for the bumper which is ok but im not paying more for shipping than item itself  :headpop:

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2004, 10:38:20 PM »

:? Would be cheaper to fly over and collect it your self.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2004, 06:00:15 AM »

that is  bit od i have had a lift kit a winch plate and  loads of other stuff on the same order and it cost 240$

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2004, 07:13:03 AM »

Hi Bubba,yes it does seem very steep and ive no idea why apart from the fact this Dave Anderson said it was a "truckship" item.Originally when i emailed for quote,this guy told me that for bumper and rock sliders the shipping would be $160 which i thought was ok with.Its only when i called to order i was told of possible problem with shipping and to call back  :(  :(  :(  :(

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2004, 09:13:29 AM »

AS I said before try Steve at NSM :D

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2004, 05:33:35 PM »

Have sent Steve at NSM an email so will see how it goes,thanks Stew  :D

Woody

(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2004, 07:04:46 PM »

Talking to people that import regularily Steve Middleton, Mark Gasser etc the big problem with items like bumpers is not just the weight (Warn winch bumper for XJ 116 lbs) but also the physical size of the crate it comes in, it can be like a small coffin.  If you can find a supplier who surface ships a container load every so often then it might be cheaper, if slower.  Try talking to Gwyn Malcolm at www.mountainjacks.co.uk he ships from the states a fair bit and if he can get enough to fill a container then can bring in heavy items cheaply - if I remember correctly - don't quote me on this.

Woody

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2004, 08:18:34 PM »

Thanks for that Woody,have contacted Steve Middleton for catalogue.Cant really contact Gwyn as i was going to buy what looked like to be a homemade centre for an xj to which you could fit a winch from him but then decided that i wanted something more substantial and so backed out of the sale,and he may well remember me for that,but thanks  anyway  :oops:

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2004, 09:42:40 PM »

Have also just had a reply from a place called Savanna Jones-anyone dealt with them?They have quoted me shipping of $463 for a winch bumper,side bars and some cut out fender flares,which is a bit better but they say i will be responsible for Taxes/import duties when they arrive.Does anyone know what sort of figure is likely to be added on,from past dealings? :?:  :?:  :?:

cuffm

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: XJ
  • Year: 1998
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2004, 12:49:33 AM »

If you want to ship heavy stuff from the states look at sea freight companies like American Baggage.  18 months or so ago I bought a cubic metre of ship space (no weight limit) for $260.  Look for a supplier thats close to one of thier hubs and who is willing to act as a collection agency, in my case I sent a load of stuff to Tennessee Offroad, they palletted it for me along with the stuff I was buying from them and then they arranged for it to be collected etc.   I also regularly use US Postal Service sea service (USPS), cheap and reliable. Shipped back a TJ Tailgate for Angela/Kevin earlier in the year for $70.  Most companies will send via USPS if you ask, just have to be prepared to wait upto 6 weeks for goods.  Most stuff shipped in from the US wll attract VAT and 6% import duty and possibly a handling fee - or none of the above depending on  your postman.... If you go with somebody like American Baggage then arranging a group buys a good idea to maximise space utilisation....  Another route is look for a company who regulary ships stuff into the UK via container....  I paid £100 to ship over an 8274, tube fenders and a bumper last January, from memory well over 300KG.

Mike C

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2004, 08:25:29 AM »

Thanks Mikec,will keep all your info for future reference.Have sent the order to SavannaJones but will have to wait for all 3 items to be in stock and then they will ship,but if there are any probs with that then i will do what you suggested   :smt023

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2004, 11:50:14 PM »

Ordered something from Steve at NSM last Friday

Delivery to sunny Telford Thursday :D

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2004, 07:00:10 AM »

who is nsm can he realy be cheaper than buying direct i know you said he is a good guy but just seems hard to imagine using a midle man and it still coming out cheaper :?:  :smt028

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2004, 02:48:42 PM »

Steve's a jeep owner and posts on j33 and jeepclub so he needs parts too!
Imports Quadratec stuff suggest you google Quadratec to see the sort of stuff he gets then bell him on  01245 328118 and ask for a catalogue
 Like Gwyn at Mountain Jacks prices are pretty good I've found

46stm

(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2004, 04:29:23 PM »

He also posts on here occasionally.

The good thing about you Stew is that you are real and understand that I'm not a charity or a place to just "check out prices"......thats why you, and the majority of my customers get a good deal and good service......unfortunately I also get a load of time wasters who want price and delivery on about 20 items then order nothing.

I don't run NSM full time, its just a sideline business, my main area is a couple of engineering companies, in my opinion the Jeep market is not really big enough to offer good prices all day every day whilst trying to pay your overheads etc.

I always check stock availability and prices before giving people information, I want to sell them something they want not what I have on the shelf. Basically I offer Quadratec over here, even for just one item like a cap, no probs cos I'll just bring it over with other stuff. So far I import parts EVERY week, orders have been constant enough.

So there you go.....website is running but haven't had time to sort it out yet  www.nsmspecialproducts.co.uk  but best to email me direct or call

01245 320919  steve@shakie.demon.co.uk
Steve

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2004, 05:08:21 PM »

Well hello Steve :D Thanks for the com

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2004, 07:14:29 PM »

Soz should have put comments :lol:

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2004, 03:13:19 PM »

Ordered from Steve in Essex last Friday lunch

Shipped from states and in my garage this friday lunch (with a 24 hr delay in my collecting from couriers depot)

Pretty impressive I think!

46stm

(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2004, 11:33:28 PM »

Stew, your crisp £45 note awaits in brown paper bag....cheers for plug.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2004, 12:14:37 AM »

Great stuff - Thanks Steve
It'll go towards my crimbo beer fund Do you want some scissors to cut off the bit from that £50 note?

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2004, 10:58:31 PM »

I orderd some stuff from 4wd last wednesday and they came today 8)

bluesub

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
    • http://www.roy.howes.dsl.pipex.com
(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2004, 11:45:05 PM »

Having had a winch out at the Turkey Hunt now find myself  =D>
Always thought could get away without one :yawinkle:
I have seen the light :smt100
97 Cherokee 4.0l Ltd with 2" lift and Muds

Woody

(No subject)
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2004, 12:47:44 AM »

Bluesub

have a look at http://www.jeepclub.co.uk/topic.cfm?id=3416 I think there is a group getting together to try and a good deal from a supplier.

Woody

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2004, 10:35:49 PM »

i would be interested to know what sort of money we are talking, let us know folks. 8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up