Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Needed - Front Brake issue  (Read 3933 times)

abm914

Help Needed - Front Brake issue
« on: August 22, 2008, 09:21:27 AM »

Hi all, need some advice on my '94 XJ front brakes:
Heading up the M6 yesterday with no problems. Got stuck in traffic and then when it cleared, the Jeep was sluggish, pulling to the left and under braking would pull to the right.
Stopped at services, Nearside front disc was smoking, wheel very hot.
So am guessing it is either seized caliper or a collapsed flexihose.
So questions are:
1) Anyone  else had this problem?
2) Anyone know anywhere in the Manchester area that I'm likely to get a flexihose from (main agent can't get one until tomorrow)
3) Is it a simple procedure to swap it out (or are there any Jeep querks that I should know about).

Any help much appreciated
Jeep is a 1994 4.0 XJ Stealth model with ABS

Ad.

scrw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 09:49:42 AM »

won't be the hose it will be a sized caliper, very common, had to do a few on my Jeeps. TBH it isn't worth the hassle of rebuilding them, I got a new recon caliper for £55 from my local motor factors, much easier job than stripping and rebuilding the caliper, takes less than an hour to swap caliper and bleeds the system

JohnFuk

XJ Recall
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:44:08 PM »

I think your right and its a sized caliper, but have you looked at the Jeep recalls.

I had my front discs and pads changed last year for free under a recall at the stealership.

Follow link and go to page 2

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recall ... 20CHEROKEE)%20%20for%20the%20date%20range%2001/1/1980%20to%2001/1/2010

abm914

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 06:00:05 PM »

Thanks all

Have got a re-con'd caliper, now fitted and all good.
Never had a caliper seize on me on a journey before. Normally happens when I've not used a car for ages.

Johnfuk - yep, already had the recall items changed.

TJMart

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:39:47 PM »

I had both the front  sieze up at the same time causing the front end to lock up, it was quite scarey   :shock:

PtP

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Stourbridge, West Midlands
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 10:12:35 PM »

I serviced mine a couple of years back and this might throw some light on how I did it. :-)

Quote from: "PtP"
Well, I thought I would tackle the job and I’m glad I did so far as the job has been very easy.

I thought I would get away with just stripping the calliper, cleaning the rust and crud and rebuilding it!

Not quite as straight forward as I first thought.

I stripped the piston out and discovered there was a ridge of rust deposited around the edge and I also discovered that the piston is not made from steel, but some sort of resin material / Bakelite. Anyway, a very light rub on some 600 grit wet and dry and the rust deposit was removed.

This photo shows the piston after I removed the rust.

Next I realised the rust had come from the ring of metal by the seal in the casting.

So a gentle rub with the 600 paper and all the rust was removed.

In the process of rubbing this area of the cylinder, I realised that there must be a split in the outer seal to have let all the water in which had caused this to rust up. Sure enough, here is the split.

A quick call to Lighthouse who have the service kits in stock and I’m now waiting for the post in the morning.

Knowing that there is a new piston on its way I removed the internal seal from the cylinder and inserted the piston and to my surprise it got stuck despite having removed all the crud and rust! In some positions it was working, but if I rotated it a few degrees one way or another it became stuck again. I very gently rubbed the piston again on the 600 paper and now it’s a perfect fit! I will use the new piston though. But it just goes to show, what you thing is clean and back to size is not! I also rotated the piston in the cylinder after this second sanding and there was no sign of any interference, just a good close and snug fit.

The service kits include the piston, inner seal and outer seal are only £13.90 plus VAT and p&p. I’ve ordered 2 sets!
Peter

JohnFuk

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 06:03:45 PM »

Ptp

Interesting post. my Jeeps up in the air with the wheels off at the moment, so I will have a look at mine.

PtP

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Stourbridge, West Midlands
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 07:51:10 PM »

I have had to clean one of them since the rebuild as some more rust had developed in the same place as before. I just gave the whole thing a thorough clean sanding the rust away and did not replace any components, but I did put a very thin smear of RTF around the mating surface of the outer seal and the steel of the calliper to help prevent anymore moisture getting in and causing it to rust again. So far it’s been just fine!
Peter

biffo

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 09:16:47 PM »

REgarding the recalls: my grand cherokkee is 1996 and I get it serviced privately ie not main delaer: does this mean i can get a brake disc recall done for free , even now? Think this recall was announced in 2002. Can I get it done for free at the same place I get it serviced?

JohnFuk

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 12:15:41 AM »

Hi Biffo
I had my discs done about 2 tears ago. Don't know about how long the recalls are in place for, but i would think they still stand worth seeing the Dealer.

biffo

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 07:16:36 AM »

Thanks, I will give them a call today.

JohnFuk

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 02:47:04 PM »

Best of luck. Let me know what happens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up