Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZJ Lift Ideas  (Read 5386 times)

ZJ Brad

ZJ Lift Ideas
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:08:02 PM »

Looking for anyone that can give me some advice on this. I am thinking of lifting my 1999 ZJ 4.0/auto about 3 inches. I've had a root around on the good old internet and here is what I am thinking.

Buy a new set of stock front springs for a V8 ZJ and put them on the rear then put 3" spring blocks on the front. Also thinking of removing the rear anti roll bar, adding quick disconnects on the front anti roll bar, goodrich brake hoses as I imagine the stock ones will be too short and some decent shocks. Then running some 31x10.50's on the stock wheels for now. Does any of this sound do-able or am I better off just paying the money and buying a proper lift kit.

Any opinions would be appreciated as this will be my first time lifting a Jeep. Had a lifted 1971 J20 years back but I bought it that way.

Cheers,
Brad

tartanzj

Re: ZJ Lift Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:10:57 AM »

Hi Brad,

If you want a cheap 3" lift then do a front-rear swap. Swap your longer front springs to the back and buy new +3" front springs, longer shocks all-round and then the front and rear trackbars will need altered. You might get away without needing longer brake lines.

Yes, remove the rear anti-roll bar and put disconnects on the front. It'll give you way more flex off-road.

For running 31x10.5" you'll lose a good bit of your turning circle unless you get a set of wheel spacers. If you only plan on running 31" tyres you could put on a 2" budget boost and save all the hassle and cost of the above. I ran my ZJ with no probs on 31" BFG's disconnected. You just have to trim the inside of the front bumper slightly.

If your planning on going higher still then prob no point in doing a F>R swap first.

ZJ Brad

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:41:15 PM »

Thanks for the advise mate, sounds like a good plan. I think I'll start gathering some parts this weekend and see what I can come up with :-)  Being that this is my daily driver/family hauler I hate to go too wild with it just can't stand owning a 4x4 I can't crawl under. lol.

Cheers
Brad

xjlee

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:58:42 PM »

If you want a visual idea of that lift get a look at Teddys ZJ on rockznrutz, his i think is about 4" tho 8-)

Bishops Finger

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:38:31 PM »

Rockznruts............Isn't that some help therapy for mentalist failed kitchin salesmen....

OK need to get out more...

wiltshire Pirate

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 02:59:53 PM »

I am also very new to this and want to lift my ZJ (got stuck again on sunday not enough ground clearance again) what does mean?
31" BFG's disconnected

Plus am I right if I do a 2" lift plus run 31x10.5 would that give me a 3.5" lift in total?

If I go for a 3" lift what is the best budget kit to go for I've had a quote for Skyjacker £1156.90

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 03:33:06 PM »

Running disconnected is uncoupling the swaybar (anti-roll bar) via swaybar disconnects.

If you look at your front swaybar, you will see a vertical arm on each side that connects the swaybar to the axle. A swaybar disconnect replaces these arms, and (usually) uses a pin which is pulled out that splits the arm in two. With the arms split, you then hook the swaybar out of the way.

It gives you much better axle articulation when off-road, but it's illegal to ride round like that on the road. It's not called an anti-roll bar for nothing  :wink:

Oh, and lifts are usually quoted as the amount of lift from the axle to the body, not the ground to the body, so bigger tyres might make it 1 inch taller, but it doesn't mean you had a 1 inch lift.

ZJ Brad

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 08:03:50 PM »

Quote from: "xjlee"
If you want a visual idea of that lift get a look at Teddys ZJ on rockznrutz, his i think is about 4" tho 8-)

I like the look of that one. I'm looking at a Rusty's 3" lift with 31 x 10.50's on steel wheels. see how she does on mot friday. not to concerned but luck I been having with motors as of late no telling. lol.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »

Rustys have a bad reputation IIRC

tartanzj

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 02:05:14 PM »

Quote from: "wiltshire Pirate"
I am also very new to this and want to lift my ZJ (got stuck again on sunday not enough ground clearance again) what does mean?
31" BFG's disconnected

Plus am I right if I do a 2" lift plus run 31x10.5 would that give me a 3.5" lift in total?

If I go for a 3" lift what is the best budget kit to go for I've had a quote for Skyjacker £1156.90

If you're bottoming out on the diff then it is only the tyre size that will give an increase in clearance between the diff and the ground. So if you currently have the standard 29" diameter tyres on, then moving to 31" tyres will effectively give you an extra 1" clearance beneath the diff. If you bottom out on the belly of the jeep and not the diff then a 2" lift will give you a full 2" increase in body clearance, so effectively you'll get a 3" increase in body clearance by combining a 2" lift with 31" tyres.

Unfortunately all that happens is you go further then get stuck so you lift it again.  :wink:

£1100 is a lot for a "budget kit" and bear in mind that there are no full kits for RHD ZJ's, you'll have to fab a few bits up too.

ZJ Brad

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 07:54:33 PM »

Quote from: "Bishops Finger"
Rustys have a bad reputation IIRC

Ahhh I besthave a look into that then. Thanks for the heads up

Bishops Finger

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 09:26:14 PM »

LLama 4x4 import stuff if its any use...

wiltshire Pirate

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »

David at LLama 4x4 rang me last night (such a helpful chap) and we spoke at lenght about lifting my ZJ looks as if it will be a 4" lift. that will allow me to fit with ease 31x10.5 and should stop me bottom out on the belly of the jeep well most of the time it but it will happen but not as often skid plate to be fitted later when he sales them

xjlee

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 02:01:52 PM »

Ive just installed xj front coils (which cost £10) in the back end of my grand its its given me, round numbers, 3.5" on the rear end. In the front ive got 3" coils for an xj but with 2" coil spacers as the grand is an inch higher anyway. Rough Country shocks all around and its quite a big truck now as it sits on 31's but be warned, you will definately need front and rear track bars as both my axles are sat 3/4" over towards the passenger side now.... 8-)  8-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up