Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEELS SCRUBBING ON FULL LOCK - R reg GRAND CHEROKEE QUAD  (Read 4419 times)

aibremner

WHEELS SCRUBBING ON FULL LOCK - R reg GRAND CHEROKEE QUAD
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:54:38 AM »

my grand cherokee is almost impossible to park on full lock.  the tyres seem to scrub and lock up.  it runs quiet and causes no problems or concern on normal driving but i need to tow two classic bikes to italy next month and cannot afford to have a breakdown.  i am based in north hertfordshire.  anyone local who can drive and advise me please?  andrew 07801593828 abremner@btinternet.com

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
Re: WHEELS SCRUBBING ON FULL LOCK - R reg GRAND CHEROKEE QUAD
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 10:05:10 AM »

it sounds like you are in part time 4x4. try 2 wheel drive.

aibremner

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 10:55:50 AM »

Quote from: "aibremner"
my grand cherokee is almost impossible to park on full lock.  the tyres seem to scrub and lock up.  it runs quiet and causes no problems or concern on normal driving but i need to tow two classic bikes to italy next month and cannot afford to have a breakdown.  i am based in north hertfordshire.  anyone local who can drive and advise me please?  andrew 07801593828 abremner@btinternet.com

i do not think i have the option - it is quadra-trac so it is all wheel drive all the time, surely?

Tank

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:23:48 AM »

Yes it will be full time 4wd.As for your problem i cant really help as i dont know too much about these Jeeps.I know on some models you can adjust the steering stops.Is it a recent problem?How long you had the jeep?Do you know if the wheels/tyres have been changed.Maybe someone fitted some with an incorrect offset  or a wider tyre and so the wheels are too far into the arch.....just a thought

scrw

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 12:43:59 PM »

Change the oil in the transfer case and make sure you use the correct type first, but sounds like viscous coupling is on the way out, see here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthre ... post466494

Tank

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 05:48:12 PM »

Thats my theories blown out the water......im getting as bad as Stew when it comes to tech  :rolleyes:

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 08:17:23 PM »

The viscous coupling in the transfer case has siezed. Replace it or get another transfer case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up