Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advise on purchasing 240v Air Compressor.  (Read 1854 times)

gordy

Advise on purchasing 240v Air Compressor.
« on: May 02, 2016, 02:19:19 PM »

I am gonna get myself an air compressor soon.  Primarily because having just spent hours hosing, vacuuming and wire brushing the inside of my TJ's frame rails of 18 years of mud dirt and salt.  I had minimum corrosion fortunatley but did get some rust flakes.  I have just picked up and applied FE-123 rust conversion stuff from Rustbuster.co.uk.  I also got a gallon of Mil-Spec dinitrol 3125 that comes with an air gun and extension wand.  The gun needs minimum 7.5cfm at 90PSI. I also want to start using air impact wrench and other tools so would like something that would work with them.

I knew jack about compressors till this weekend but I'm aware the most important thing is the FAD or free air delivery.  So most UK air compressor suppliers do not give you this figure for their compressors, typically useless, the HP or CFM of the motor is all they supply.

This is one compressor I think will work for me:  It has an FAD of Maximum Free Air Delivery: 8.8cfm (249ltr/min). http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Sealey%20Sac10030Ve%205051747880641%20Compressor%20100Ltr%20V%20Twin%20Direct%20Drive%203Hp#FullDescription

If anyone has a recommendation for what to buy other than above please do let me know, seems so many on eBay n' that, thanks.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Re: Advise on purchasing 240v Air Compressor.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 02:44:39 PM »

If you have the space get the one with the biggest air tank.

You'll soon grow tired of the thing being on the whole time otherwise.

Maybe look at second hand stuff.

Tis what I did and ended up with...... an under bench monster with a 250 ltr tank...... Great for spraying paint, inflating 40" tyres  and getting trailer tyres up to 90psi. As well as air tools and grinders.

Paid £250 that was 4 years ago..... Needed a trailer at the time to collect it :icon_super:

gordy

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 02:50:36 PM »

OK thanks, its gonna have to go in my shed lol, no garage for me and I'm gonna have to chuck out a bunch of crap to get it in,the biggest I have room for is 150l.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 03:07:21 PM »

Also cheap rubber hose from 'Mau Mart' is worth getting in the longest lengths.....

I used 2  X 50 ft Lengths to go from workshop all over the house roof to spray anti moss stuff....

Only about £25 a length.....

Means you can keep compressor in shed.

gordy

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 03:13:58 PM »

Yeah that's what I'm gonna get, I was in my local Mach Mart earlier, I asked them about the FAD and they did not know what I was talking about but they had all the hoses you mention.  I think I will get the 100l Sealey, the 150l ones are alot more. 

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 05:03:10 PM »

I would go for that sealey It will be great  for what you need

doctorchopper

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 06:02:21 PM »

I have something similar, its a sip v twin compressor but only a 50 litre tank, the compressor will drive all my impacts and air sanders ect but the motor does run a lot due to small tank, but there is plenty of air power out of it to drive my tools. 100 litre tank would be even better than mine so i say go for it

gordy

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 08:37:30 PM »

Great, thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up