Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gearbox swap!  (Read 1699 times)

Ged

Gearbox swap!
« on: January 18, 2016, 12:59:45 PM »

Hi guys
Does any body know if the four speed auto box from a 4 ltr XJ can be swapped into a 4 ltr ZJ and more importantly will the ECU and electrics work with it?
Any info appreciated
Ged

LairdScooby

Re: Gearbox swap!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 03:14:17 PM »

To the best of my knowledge it's the same box so should work. What is the problem with the box in the ZJ?

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »

No, it's definitely completely different and won't work.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 07:41:20 PM »

:iagree: the xj is electrically controlled and the zj semi electricary

Ged

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:28:38 AM »

Hi
I have a ZJ with seized engine so no way of checking box, but have a XJ with cracking engine and box.
I know the box in XJ is an AW4 and the ZJ is a 42RE but just wondered if they would swap.
No probs thanks for the feed back cheers

Ged

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »

Maybe just swap the engine?

Ged

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 12:44:21 PM »

Ya I agree, it was just that I have always understood that the AW4 was a better and stronger box, dont ask me why, I have heard it or read it some were. The ZJ I have now dont give me any probs its just that you always look for better!!
Cheers any how

Ged

LairdScooby

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 12:55:27 PM »

Alternatively keep the XJ and use the ZJ as a "spares mule" - probably less work involved?

Sounds a daft question but are you sure the ZJ engine is siezed? I've heard certain age ZJs have cylinder head problems where they can crack giving head gasket failure type symptoms. If water has filled up any of the bores, the engine will hydra-lock so won't be able to turn over. Removing the plugs and checking for water on them then trying to turn the engine will confirm if this is the likely problem.

Of course i might be speaking out of turn here and you already know why the ZJ engine is siezed, apologies if so!

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 07:17:50 PM »

Surprisingly little from a ZG will fit an XJ, and they don't have cylinder head issues (except for the wretched diesel)

dtooth

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 07:31:34 PM »

I've got a zj out sitting on a hoist that's no good to me and the gearbox and 2x 249 tc if anyone needs

LairdScooby

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 08:19:37 PM »

Surprisingly little from a ZG will fit an XJ, and they don't have cylinder head issues (except for the wretched diesel)

So i'm learning! I also have a pair of Rover 827s as well as the Jeep - you could be forgiven for thinking everything from one will fit the other. But no! About the only things that are the same are the bonnet, engine, gearbox and exhaust and sundry items like steering rack, lights, brake system etc. Sounds a lot but the doors, wings, dashboard, trim, window regulators and about a million other bits are different - even the scuttle panel!!!
As for the post '96 versions - forget it!

Seems like the ZJ and XJ share a similar relationship!  :icon_eek: :010:
Pages: [1]   Go Up