Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 ton continues  (Read 95193 times)

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
1 ton continues
« on: November 11, 2010, 08:02:21 PM »

I have spent the afternoon trying to get ahead............. :jpshakehead: rear suspension is on 6" rear stretch and all welding done pics to follow ......

Now front end...... removed steering box.... no prob... leaks a lot now and will be a hydro assist in its new life......

Removed steering box mount with welded bolts (captive ) in chassis.............. not............ :jpshakehead: bastards revolved and had to be cut off

Good job I'm cutting front of chassis off and will be welding my own captive nuts 6" further forward :icon_super:

I will post a bunch of pics for ya but may have to get them so they're big so you can see the angst and stress and stuff that's gone to get the rig this far :jpshakehead:

doublej

Re: 1 ton continues
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »

dont do captive nuts mate - use some tubing that the mount bolts fit and sleeve all the way through the frame.
- its stronger
- normal nut and bolt is easier to fix if it gets stripped
and make sure you plate the mount with some 6mill atleast - your going to be putting alot more stress on that part of the frame with the bigger tires and axles

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 09:50:49 PM »

Yer right and................ yer read my mind................ DOM tube has been ordered :icon_super:

Asylum

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 10:45:03 PM »

Hows it progressing mate?  :greggmo:
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 11:18:21 PM »

G'day mate......

Slowly..........

But.....

Rear end extended by 6" and springs hung with new mounts all painted and just needs axle under :jpshakehead:

Front all cut back to rad and new chassis forward to extend 6" in this direction as well

New front bumper as cross member as well as cross member under rad that I put in before I chopped the front  :icon_biggrin:

Steering column extended 6"

New steering box mounts in new chassis pieces with DOM

Winch to drop in new gap and fairlead to be under front bumper....... Air can see rad now :icon_biggrin:

Been cleaning axles and stripping old brakes tonight..... got to buy spindle nut socket to dismantle front of Dana 60 .... Snap on £60

If I was near a Napa in Diddleyboing Idaho could get one for $29 bugger :icon_twisted:

Plan is to run Double J's wheels and tyres next year when he steps up to 42s..... Oh yes oh yes.......

You doing the Turkey Hunt???

Oh yeah I've also comp-cut the rear ..... wasn't going to but needs must  for 39.5" tyres :icon_super:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 06:16:25 PM »

Firstly - I know nothing about YJ chassis, BUT:

with all that extra weight swinging about under the Jeep, will you need to reinforce the chassis, especially spring and link mount points??

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 07:51:21 PM »

Yup your right. Already done........ got a raft of pics I'll throw up one day when I have a photobucket account or similar..... no point at the moment doesn't look interesting.

But to continue...... I'm surprised the factory mounts have stood the test of me and my antics........ the factory mounts are craaaap but they obviously worked .... to date.

All the stuff I've done is reinforced with 6mm plate and the mounts  or spring pads as they call 'em and shackle mounts are also 6mm. All attachments to chassis are seam welded and also rosette welded.... So about double what the factory did......

Just been researching Hydro or full hydro .......again  :icon_biggrin: on Pirate ...... not much difference in price....... less gubbins on full hydro
and yes I will be trailer bound on the road....... finally admitted to that......... because..... who would insure what I had built if I told all to insurers :icon_twisted:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 08:23:36 PM »

you need to find somewhere that scraps forklifts and get the steering from there.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 05:54:01 PM »

who would insure what I had built if I told all to insurers :icon_twisted:

you just need  and engineers report to clarify build and a possible sva but with full hydro your stuffed, unless you can piggy back the std steering system and run both is parallel
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Asylum

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 10:46:12 PM »

G'day mate......

Slowly..........

But.....

Rear end extended by 6" and springs hung with new mounts all painted and just needs axle under :jpshakehead:

Front all cut back to rad and new chassis forward to extend 6" in this direction as well

New front bumper as cross member as well as cross member under rad that I put in before I chopped the front  :icon_biggrin:

Steering column extended 6"

New steering box mounts in new chassis pieces with DOM

Winch to drop in new gap and fairlead to be under front bumper....... Air can see rad now :icon_biggrin:

Been cleaning axles and stripping old brakes tonight..... got to buy spindle nut socket to dismantle front of Dana 60 .... Snap on £60

If I was near a Napa in Diddleyboing Idaho could get one for $29 bugger :icon_twisted:

Plan is to run Double J's wheels and tyres next year when he steps up to 42s..... Oh yes oh yes.......

You doing the Turkey Hunt???

Oh yeah I've also comp-cut the rear ..... wasn't going to but needs must  for 39.5" tyres :icon_super:

Looking forward to seeing this mate, a lot of working going into it. I like it.
Yep will be at the turkey hunt, got a few issues with my truck but still going to be there with her.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 02:50:50 PM »

Right then got some stuff done over Christmas and axles under it last night so am a bit excited..... Rear drums on a 14 bolt weigh 40 lbs each and stick out (inboard) and look retarded..... so discs at back....now :icon_twisted:

Threw the H2 rims and 35s under it so I can take transfer case out without fear of a squishing :jpshakehead:

Was going to hold off till all pics can be put up large but here's a taster ......plenty of room for 40's and yes it's wide 86"  :icon_super:[attachment=1][attachment=2]

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 02:54:01 PM »

Bugger same shot twice :wsmile:
try again :jpshakehead:[attachment=1]

Warthog

• Bla, bla, bla....
  • Forum Member
  • Proper Job!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 04:44:13 PM »

Sooooo when are you gonna chop those cart springs off....  :098: :003:

Looking good :icon_super:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 04:46:54 PM »

hmmm

jsut a wee gap to fill now wing springy and dampy stuff
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 05:22:42 PM »

Dampy stuff is waiting to go on............

Steery stuff coming from US............soon :icon_super:

Had second thoughts at back and now thinking 4 linky very loooong arm+ air shocks......... all parts for attachment from Dan at Ruffstuff for $700
but next year .......... gonna run with the Ben Hurr Springs to see how crap it is....or not. Might even have to run the 4.10s and open diffs this coming year cos of fluff factor.......... that'll be the  tyres and trailer that are the crippler :jpshakehead:

just this minute come in from stripping the drums off the 14 bolt...feck they must weigh 50 lbs a piece....... gotta buy discs now :icon_twisted:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 07:14:42 PM »

i like leaves i know that makes me a Luddite but i care not

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »

I agree Bubba, much simpler and far easier to upgrade, they cant fall out and if one bit snaps it keeps on working, you just need to make sure you know a good Orthopaedic surgeon. :icon_biggrin:

3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

king cj

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 02:07:00 AM »

this thread is relevent to my intrests  :icon_super:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 10:28:50 AM »

i totally agree

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 10:48:59 AM »

Are you not going to do that reverse banana thingy on the spring mount?
"Not all those who wander are lost"

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 12:12:17 PM »

Got reverse banana on the rear so that the shackle will clear frame ...... as mounts are out the back now.

Front had to be 'not shackle reversed' as I am extended by 6 inches........ basically I would have to have a solid vertical drop of 5 "
off the front to mount the spring and then very short shackles at the rear......... seen it done on "Pirate" doesn't work ....or sometimes springs are like a ski jumper in angle...........

Anal retention rules......I measured it all when on the wheels and front caster angle is 5 degrees... apparently the prefered angle for a Dana 60....
but..weight of winch might feck that a bit tho :icon_twisted:

Unashamedly I have copied from the guys in the US that made it work..... lots of stuff you look at and think nah.... never work....and then you scoot forward to the end of their post and yep....you know you were right......... Has taken a summer of anoraking to sort the stuff that works from the nutters that bodge :icon_twisted:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 12:19:24 PM »

And yes I have signed up to Flikr or whatever to get big pics here..........just got to learn how to do it.......

Bur back to spannering.............

Some days you have faith in the human race.....

I had to call these guys as their on site paypal system was not working
http://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/Dana-60-Crossover-Arm-(FREE-SHIPPING)/3163/3168/3462/3578

Anyway conversation goes..... doing disc conversion on 14 bolt..... need calipers and rotors and bits having trouble with Autozone they dont do loaded calipers can't sort parts nos at this distance.......

Answer no prob I can supply all those at Autozone prices.... and I know the company you got your caliper mounts from he's a mate....

So calipers at $60 and rotors at $39.99 each and lots of fittings banjo bolts etc........ job done

Also sorted a prob I had with my terraflex system now 'resting' in the garage :icon_twisted: I never got full lock..... no bugger knew why....
Until I ordered a pitman arm from these guys for the Dana 60 and they said go with the ZJ tapered for bottom up chevy double pivot that way you'll get full lock :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_super:

So there you go...... I was wrist slashingly depressed after the New Year (S.A.D. as usual) but having chainsawed another 50 foot silver birch and started again on the 1 ton ........ I'm feeling better :icon_super: :icon_biggrin:

Got the drums and gubbins off at last on the 14 bolt and I know I said they were heavy........ and I wont bore you again ....after this.....but I weighed them............

You ready............... 70 lbs PER SIDE........... now that's heavy shit

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 12:27:52 PM »

Its like half english half chinese to me
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »

Went out with a girl like that once............. :icon_winkle: :xxx_knockinboots: FNARRR :icon_super:

But you don't wan to know about that............... :icon_biggrin:

Mick O

• Mickosaurus
  • Founder
  • Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 03:03:43 PM »

Yes we do................. and with pictures :003: :003: :003:

:greggmo:
I'm not a complete idiot.......................some bits are missing

AKA Jurassic O