Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 ton continues  (Read 95519 times)

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
Re: 1 ton continues
« Reply #250 on: July 05, 2013, 03:27:53 PM »

shame it wont go on a 401 :icon_sad:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #251 on: July 05, 2013, 09:39:18 PM »

Are you sure? My system was for 5-8 cylinder engines

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #252 on: July 05, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »

:iagree:
It could work

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #253 on: July 06, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »

Tbh I thort coz it is carbs it needed a differnt system?

If it will work woud def b interested
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #254 on: July 06, 2013, 11:47:37 AM »

prob just need 2 more injector things for the extra two pots..... Maybe some electrickery stuff.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #255 on: August 03, 2013, 03:32:02 PM »

So......I'm still waiting on a cheap fix with parts on the prop........Bailey Morris at St Neots....maybe this week cos need it for Kirton........

Today I lost 100 lbs......

cut the rear off my new to me TJ chassis...... Cut just in front of the coil spring mounts.......
Tis all planned in my head at the moment.......not the best place to keep things you may think???
Welding stuff on will have to wait till body tub is hovering above.....
Will be moving body mounts to above chassis to give 100 mm lift but with no lift pucks......will ensure super flat underside and super low height at full bump......... :icon_twisted:

As usual most ideas are a cocktail of stuff from Pirate......and the 'back half inspiration' thread
 :icon_super:

Jeepjedi

« Reply #256 on: August 07, 2013, 07:26:13 PM »

Jezz, what happened to the spitfire exhaust out the bonnet look we discussed at cheapfest, you know you want to  :icon_twisted:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #257 on: August 07, 2013, 07:59:47 PM »

Arha!   yes I'd forgot that........ :hysterical:

basic plan is to swap all from the present 1 ton YJ thing to the TJ that will be buggified...... In my mind......that will be quite cheap......not a word you associate with Jeep :icon_twisted:.....should just be the cost of doing the 4 link front and rear that I have to spring for........

BUT.........a manly 8 up front would make me a happy hippie......fender well headers  fnarrr.

I guess selling the LPG'd low mileage 35k  4 litre. Would raise a tiny bit of cash for the cause......
Or just more Merlot :icon_super:

more useless info Jeepparts .co.uk are selling MB grills for £95........ Matron..........they were £200 last year...... :icon_biggrin:

Jeepjedi

« Reply #258 on: August 08, 2013, 12:05:52 AM »

exhaust ideas Jezz oh am i  a bad influence, turn up ya sound  :icon_super:

STOP AT 3 MINS

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #259 on: August 08, 2013, 12:24:28 AM »

Epic .....love the owners comment........that's got a bit hot that has! :hysterical:

Amazing that they still sound. Like aeroplanes on the fast passes........even without a prop!

Dubious mate of mine had a kit on his YJ.........was basically an extra spark. Plug in the exhaust outlet.......flick a switch and it would kill spark to the engine for a moment and then route spark to exhaust outlet.........
result was 1 foot flames for 5 secs.......... Childish......yes.......... Fun.......? deffo!

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #260 on: November 30, 2013, 01:01:58 PM »

Boat Side rockers..........

Having taked front fenders off to redo em and rad out to replace and steering cooler now behind grill.
I then looked at a tin of new cutting discs and ....... grinder fu took over......

Taken rocker protection off and cut nerf bars off to redo ......but then got taken with the boat side thing..... here's a Pirate vendors take on the matter.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/body-armor/1536305-jeep-boatside-rocker-panels.html

Obviously I'd be doing my own.....
Anybody ever done some over this side of the pond?

Next to come out is the factory cage with add ons cos it aint up to snuff really is it......
The front cage bolt on is an Or Fab item and will be up for jaffas soon, if ya want.

Trip to metal factors on cards next week......

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #261 on: November 30, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »

HMMMM so.....

What have you for side protection?
What have you as jacking points?
What have you as a boost to get in the 1 TON?

Think again, this looks good but impractical.

"Not all those who wander are lost"

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #262 on: November 30, 2013, 04:25:34 PM »

Yes I have just come in from a measure up with the Sharpie and the straight edge and all those questions, reared their ugly head and remain unanswered :jpshakehead:

And then the welding of the inside to tidy up......... Which over the pond no one seems to do......

soooo much work for sooo little gain......

Original plan was to replace cill nerf barswhich was my first welding job :icon_biggrin: with some better ones bent in the bender rather than mitre cut......
They will stick further out and as before tie into chassis and then.........

Front hoop exo cage and rear hoop exocage.....tied together by roof bars.....also exo......

this has all come about due to the tree hitting history of this year :icon_redface:

what do you all think........ Negative is added weight......positive is it can roll like a football and survive :icon_twisted:

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #263 on: November 30, 2013, 04:43:40 PM »

Mean machine Jez..bet she'd turn some heads on an Aussie beach!!

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #264 on: November 30, 2013, 05:46:47 PM »

oh for the warmth of a North Sydney Beach........ Burning lots in the workshop  woodburner to keep the SAD at bay.........

But Tis merlot time........ :icon_super: and then loud music ...... To drown out celeb dancing bollix...... Oh yes.

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #265 on: November 30, 2013, 05:55:48 PM »

:icon_super:  Great minds think alike mate!

robsrotti

« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2013, 10:34:06 AM »

Jez you have youth as a boost to get in. You are not as old as some island dwellers.  :hysterical:

Dtimot8

« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2013, 05:52:30 PM »

I know its terribly boring and aesthetic and all that sh1t
but ...
i like the look of the wrangler and i'm not convinced about all this exo cage stuff

Just don't think it looks that nice

with your skills WW can you not get it inside

wow made a comment rather than a question there's a first must be the full fifteen
Regards Tim

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2013, 07:38:29 PM »

Hmm, it's always that choice between complete protection and looks, style and even function.

If you wheel in the desert holes in the floor don't matter - go playing at 7S in November and it's a bit different!

Having been in the garage with grinder and welder all day myself just on a winch mount the boatsides would be a big job.

Ho hum, no real contribution there, best get back to the wine  :hysterical:

robsrotti

« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2013, 07:48:32 PM »

Surely a cage is to protect the driver more than the vehicle. Internal cages look nicer and don't get caught on so much but external protect the panels. Internal with an external screen hoop I think.

robsrotti

« Reply #270 on: December 01, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »

Surely a cage is to protect the driver more than the vehicle. Internal cages look nicer and don't get caught on so much but external protect the panels. Internal with an external screen hoop I think.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #271 on: December 01, 2013, 08:04:45 PM »

Yup. been out there burning the wood in the woodburner and measuring and stuff...... got to agree exo cages are not the prettiest.

But then I didn't like the front fenders with the extended arches...... That's why they had to go......
just means more mud...... :hysterical: but  I have a cunning plan :icon_biggrin:

So..... Internal cage and reinstate the nerf bars on the cills........ But I now need a Tig welder to do cage properly ........have been practicing on fish mouthed tubes with mig and it just doesn't look right........I could bore with the metallurgy of why Tig and why Pulse welding and stuff but I'll spare you that :hysterical:

so leaner meaner and with less protection......... Just need to do it now....... :icon_super:

Dtimot8

« Reply #272 on: December 02, 2013, 05:49:13 PM »

oh bloody hell
I hope i have been of absolutely no influence at all
'cause what the hell do i know square root of F all
i do know a bit about really boring stuff like investments and pensions etc etc
response from the crowd shut up and move on

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #273 on: December 02, 2013, 05:59:03 PM »

Tim I hope you didn't think I meant you had made no contribution - it was a comment about my own lack of useful input and the fact I was heavily into a bottle of white at the time.

My more sober contribution would be that I plan / hope to build an internal cage for safety if it does all goes wrong and I fall off a mountain doing 1000 Rivers or something silly but then also have a minimal amount of external bars just to protect bodywork and windscreen.

The downside is weight. I'm pondering doing a thinner wall internal cage (50.8mm 2mm wall is MSA spec minimum) cos it won't be bashed on things and then use 3.2mm wall for external stuff. Maybe even lose some weight replacing glass with plastic? Now I'm just into pure speculation... I have seen some nice cages on chop top XJs  and I have borrowed a 9" grinder  :003:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #274 on: December 02, 2013, 06:31:59 PM »

spent this afternoon practicing more welds on fish mouth tube scraps....... MIG stylee...... Tis possible  but continuous move around tube is effin impossible........ Sme web sites would have you beleive that only TIG and pulse is acceptable for some race scrutineering bodies......?????

I will say that TIG pulse is very controllable and gives fish scales.....stack of dimes ......and you can stop and reposition and carry on.......... it gives a higher heat on Pulse and its focused onthe join so making a stronger weld root.......

there you go bored you to death now.

So ........ No flares on front fenders and internal cage....... Will do the angry eyes on the screen !!

LOL..... :hysterical:...... if windscreen gets rogered it comes of........ As a mate said .......you built it to offroad..... And it travels by trailer so what's the prob..........

got to say I'm coming round to that .......keeps the weight down :icon_super:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22   Go Up