Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 79 cj7 throttle linkage  (Read 1148 times)

IrishKenCJ7

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
79 cj7 throttle linkage
« on: November 02, 2014, 11:18:45 PM »

I have a 79 CJ7 auto Quadratrac that seems like its stuck in 2nd gear. When its taking off it seems like it could cut out and has no power. At mid speed it seems fine but at high speeds it seems to rev. I never see the RPMs change like its changing gear. I had a garage look at it 2 years ago and they said the transmission was fine and the engine was fine (compression test)

I've been googling and came across throttle linkage. I cant find a write up on it in the Chiltons manual. I have a 258 with a 1bbl carb. The only linkage going to the carb is from the acceator pedal. Should there be something from carb down to the transmission.

Does every auto model have this or is there modals without this linkage or cable. If it turns out I should have one and don't what are next steps. Anyone got any photos.

From my reading it seems this is different to a throttle kickdown which changes down a gear when you accelerate quickly.

Ken

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
Re: 79 cj7 throttle linkage
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 12:39:40 PM »

I will take some photos of mine as its an auto with single bbl carb
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

j33pky

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 12:43:57 PM »

Are you refuring to knockdown?  No linkage on th400

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:25:20 PM »

BBBIIIIGGGGGG  pictures from carb to throttle cable end.

No direct connection to gearbox, previous owner had installed a manual switch to lock the box to first and second gear only

XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

eastryjeep

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 12:22:56 AM »

The linkage you have shown there is the same as mine used to be, well more or less.
It runs as a flexible cable from your accelerator pedal to the carb, then that rod linkage down to the diverter plate in the exhaust manifold. Its there for quicker warm ups by blasting hot gasses onto the bottom of the inlet manifold.
Which auto box have you got? (TH400 or the Torqueflite).
The TH400 has a kickdown solenoid operated by a slide switch above the throttle pedal, dont know about the Torqueflite Im afraid.
However when I had similar problems they were all carb related, worn jets and air leaks.
Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up