Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: i want to fit 38" tyres to my yj wrangler  (Read 9309 times)

challengejeep

i want to fit 38" tyres to my yj wrangler
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:44:36 AM »

hi,  i want to fit 38 " tyre on my yj, at the moment the front axle ( a dana 44) is not yet fitted, would it be advisable to move the front axle forward to allow better fitment and hopefully slightly less lift ... the back and is no problem as it is gonna be a tray back now, and it will end up a 103" wheelbase ... i really want as minimal lift as i can get away with ... any advice greatfully recieved ..... jay

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
Re: i want to fit 38" tyres to my yj wrangler
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:46:22 AM »

Some cutting will be required or just hood the front and remove the wings!!!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:47:44 AM »

it will also become terrible off roading and more likely to flip over backwards when climbing cos your wheelbase is to short.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »

he is extending it he said

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »

yup but he will need to move both front and rear to make it stable enough I would have thought

king cj

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 11:56:27 AM »

yup move front axle forwards if you can will give you a better aproach angle too. 103 inch wheelbase should be good with 38 inch tyres. are you sticking with leaf springs?if so you might have to extend the fame forward with will bugger up your aproach angle gains. also moveing the axle forward will require some steering mods unless you are going full hyro, this could be a headache.
also moveing front axle forward essentialy makes your jeep mid engined which is good for stability.

challengejeep

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 02:57:10 PM »

hi, thanks for all the advice,, i am gonna coil it allround,, using discovery 2 front radius arms all round... the engine shouldhopefully  end up fairly central ish lol,, i am using a 200 tdi , and i am gonna hopefully use range rear props both fronty and rear,, only need to carry one spare then to all the challenges ...

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 03:30:12 PM »

ooooooo yuk but i will follow it with interst ...good luck with it dood

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 03:37:34 PM »

Man that's what I call a BITSA....

Tragic

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: A proper Jeep!
  • Year: 1993
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »

Simon from BJC's YJ is currently at 102" on 60s and 38s, coilovered and linked front and rear. Works perfectly, much more stable.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 04:14:47 PM »

its rather nice   is shame owen still around

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

challengejeep

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 05:08:20 PM »

what do you mean yuk lol ..... simplicity is the main agenda with this truck, 200tdi - bulleproof- minimal wiring - better in deep water lol ...
is is gonna be a bit of a bitsa, mercedes g wagon back axle, d44 front, discovery gearbox and transfer case, rangey suspenion all round ....
not may jeeps in the wich challenge world, which is what its being built to do ,,, trying to build it on a budget, but hopefully showing that you havent gotta throw thousands at it, and i cant bring myself to drive a lrover 90,,, currently using a bobtailed rangey which is a nice beast, but loads of them being used now ... gotta be different lol ....
i have no doubt some people ( rivet counters lol ) will be upset that hardly any jeep bits left in it , but hay ho, but then some people dont accept it as a proper jeep anyway as its got square headlights  :lol_hitting: :lol_hitting:.....

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 05:12:27 PM »

at least the landy stuff is faily cheap to source and thats the the best you can say realy for it ....but i like the idea

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

challengejeep

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 05:29:52 PM »

that about sums it up, having competed in range rovers for bout 10 years, i have all the bits i need ,,, i did quite a bit of research and from what i could find , jeep never did a decent diesel, petrol unfortunately totally out of the question because of the sheer amount of time it will spend bonnet deep in water,,, v8s, i love em but totally useless for what i need ... my mate competes in a cherokee and has no end of problems with his 4 litre, he says the engine is basically to long, and as its spends a lot of time hanging off a winch rope on steep hills, he was having problems with oil starvation at the front of the engine and knockng out big ends ,,,  how true this is i dont know, i asked on some american sites and they agreed in principle, but they seem to tend to run v8s ...... , i need an engine that requires virtually no electricty to run, as its three electric winchs need all of that lol ....  i have had my v8 stalling out during a long hard winch through a very boggy stage, it ended up basically winching till the engine spluttered, then stopping to allow the batterys to charge a bit, then winching again and so on,,, it cost me the bloody event ....

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 05:31:59 PM »

its rather nice   is shame owen still around

Shane will be busy on his BMW two wheels and all that.

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 05:32:57 PM »

that about sums it up, having competed in range rovers for bout 10 years, i have all the bits i need ,,, i did quite a bit of research and from what i could find , jeep never did a decent diesel, petrol unfortunately totally out of the question because of the sheer amount of time it will spend bonnet deep in water,,, v8s, i love em but totally useless for what i need ... my mate competes in a cherokee and has no end of problems with his 4 litre, he says the engine is basically to long, and as its spends a lot of time hanging off a winch rope on steep hills, he was having problems with oil starvation at the front of the engine and knockng out big ends ,,,  how true this is i dont know, i asked on some american sites and they agreed in principle, but they seem to tend to run v8s ...... , i need an engine that requires virtually no electricty to run, as its three electric winchs need all of that lol ....  i have had my v8 stalling out during a long hard winch through a very boggy stage, it ended up basically winching till the engine spluttered, then stopping to allow the batterys to charge a bit, then winching again and so on,,, it cost me the bloody event ....

Interesting like the idea of your BITSA any photos?

challengejeep

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 05:43:44 PM »

i havent yet, but i will take some when i am at my workshop, altho not too much to see yet, it still at bare chassis stage altho engine, gearbox and rear axle fitted .. should be intersting when done, apart from the diesel, never had one before ( apart from my van  :lol_hitting: :lol_hitting: ) i have always had v8s, even my p38 is a 4.6 lol ...

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 05:48:51 PM »

I considered the Diesel but opted for the V8 - I have a spare SD35T kicking about here with Lard Rover LT77 adapter plate on it- must find a use for it on one of the projects.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 06:09:15 PM »

a p38 rangey are you a self harming fiend

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 06:50:23 PM »

would it not be easier to just stick a eagle jeep body on a range chassis?

challengejeep

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 07:10:17 PM »

blimey, you really dont like land rovers do you lol ,,, i used to have a cherokee, i hated it ( still got it, sitting in the corner of my workshop slowly roting away, not to sure what to with it lol ).... so next turned up the p38,, i love it lol ..
 i wanted to do a project with a bit of a difference, a truely modified vehicle, not just one with off the shelf bolt on bits, anyone can do that!! ...

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2010, 07:16:54 PM »

i ant a lugger hater but i was a tech at a landy dealers and man them p38s were......err......testing

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2010, 07:18:18 PM »

blimey, you really dont like land rovers do you lol ,,,

its not that I don't like them, I seem them everynight at solihull and I can understand the challenge you have set yourself, but it does kinda seem a waste of a jeep so as its for winch challenges using a eagle body would reduce the weight,so less load on the winches.

p38 hmmm so good they do a kit to rid yourself of the troublesome airbags..... ( and I am not talking an ejector seat where the wife sits)

Nosebolt

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2010, 07:49:36 PM »

now I do hate em :headhack: :lol_hitting:

Green Jeep

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010, 07:51:59 PM »

Good luck with your project and the challenge events.

Tis a strange combo fitting LR parts on a Jeep, your gunna get a bit of ribbing on this site... haha.... noticed a LR driver at a recent punch hunt with JEEP socks on... no way would I ever where LR socks/fit LR parts haha...  :icon_biggrin:

...200 tdi front pulley.... weld themselves on, bit of a bodge from LR (worked for them many years ago) they would lok-tight them on, can be hard/need breaking to get off. Otherwise good in the water... early 300tdi's didn't have ECU so good underwater, R380 gearbox crap, auto better... good luck!

Look forward to pics, what tyres are you going for? I run swampers for events. Cheers Maf
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up