Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: were is the temperture sender to the gauge  (Read 4394 times)

72 watch

were is the temperture sender to the gauge
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:59:27 PM »

hi guys i was told the temperture sender is on the back of the cylinderhead on a 1993 wrangler jeep 2.5 petrol. i looked today and no sender as i can see is on the back of the head and no wire going there . i only have the engine management light one in the thermostate housing. i have messeged a member on here who told me it was there just to say i cant see it .just thought i would post it to see if any one else could throw some light on were or wots happend to it. regards paul

Panic mechanic!

Re: were is the temperture sender to the gauge
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »

72 watch

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 06:34:12 PM »

wot do you mean part way down the page im lost

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 06:36:27 PM »

dont worry, he stuck a duff picture in, no doubt will return and fix it
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »

Try this one.....

72 watch

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »

hi just had a look at the picture were it is but its defently not there no lead going to were that one shows. my vehicle is the yj sqaure headlight one. is there any were else they fitted them on the 2.5 petrol engine , its doin my head in .any more suggestions pleassseee

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »

where are you? or can you take a pic of  your engine and we will point it out.

72 watch

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 07:03:10 PM »

hi mike that diagram you posted for me to seee is the sender unit were the blue bubble with the writing in is it were the arrow bit is pointing to that black thing stickin up to the right of the ballon messege.cheers paul

72 watch

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 07:06:38 PM »

hi guys i will take a photo of the engine tomoz but it will be late tomoz b4 i can post it as i work till ten .thanx for your help.this site is awsome .

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 07:13:03 PM »

hi mike that diagram you posted for me to seee is the sender unit were the blue bubble with the writing in is it were the arrow bit is pointing to that black thing stickin up to the right of the ballon messege.cheers paul
That is a picture of a 2.5YJ. I wonder if someone's fitted a later engine, they don't have the rear mounted sender, in which case you're fooked.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 07:29:25 PM »

can't remember if my 2.5 151 ci engine had it fitted elsewhere..... bugger

72 watch

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 07:31:10 PM »

mike you saying that guy told me its had a engine rebuild 12mths ago but the engine is like new so sweet and 133000 on clock.and when i saw that pic my engine looks abit diffrent cos there is no sender fitted at the back of the engine could i drill and tap into the thermostate housing and fit one. i post the pic tomoz is there an engine identification i can look for just to see if it has been changed

72 watch

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 07:33:12 PM »

panic mechanic sorry i called you mike the messege is for you to see lol

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 07:39:45 PM »

take a pic and then we can see for sure.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »

can't remember if my 2.5 151 ci engine had it fitted elsewhere..... bugger
All 2.5 and 4.0 YJs have it in the same place. 97 onward XJ and TJ only have the unit on the stat housing and the gauge is driven by the engine management. The YJ temp sender is probably too long to go in the stat housing.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 08:20:33 PM »

interestingly just looked it up on the 151 in the chiltern manual...... its in the inlet manifold but then its only used that engine for 1 year only so its not always there.( think you are thinking about the 150ci mike)

72 watch

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 08:51:03 PM »

yes  like i said i have one in the thermostate housing what someone has replaced and when i disconnected this connection it brought the engine management light on.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »

are you close to brum?

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »

The 151cu in. is a GM motor, AMC dropped it when they introduced their own 150cu in. in 1984. it was never fitted to the YJ.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 09:35:03 PM »

yes  like i said i have one in the thermostate housing what someone has replaced and when i disconnected this connection it brought the engine management light on.
It will do. It can't adjust the fuelling properly if it can't see the coolant temperature.

72 watch

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 09:38:15 PM »

hi im in sedgley dudley also i just remebered i phoned the dealers on saturday to order a sender for the temp gauge they took the chassie number and said £22.00 so i could ring them bk tomoz and ask them were it is because like you said if mine works off the engine management one in the stat houseing then its been renewed.

72 watch

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »

hi mike yes your right about it not adjusting the fueling properly if disconnected.because it ran irrattic when disconnected.also ive noticed that when its warm it has to turn over abit before it will fire up then when it starts you can smell fuel like its over fueling.any ideas on that guys

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »

hi im in sedgley dudley also i just remebered i phoned the dealers on saturday to order a sender for the temp gauge they took the chassie number and said £22.00 so i could ring them bk tomoz and ask them were it is because like you said if mine works off the engine management one in the stat houseing then its been renewed.
No, the thing is, the temperature gauge on a '93 YJ always works from an independant sender at the rear of the engine. If you have a later engine fitted without this, the gauge will not work. Also, don't be tempted to connect it to the front sensor, best case it just won't work, worst ways it'll fry the engine ECU. If you do have a later engine fitted, the best thing to do is try to fit the correct sender somwhere, Perhaps try the stat housing, but I don't think there's room. Perhaps something like a metal T piece fabricated to fit in the top hose. Have a good look for a stray wire at the back of the engine where the sender should be. If you ground it the gauge should go up.

72 watch

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 10:10:42 PM »

mike i tell yah wot i did spot when looking for it looking at the engine from the front the inlet mahifold on the right there was a blck sensor fitted in there with a 2 pin conector on it and i did wonder if that could be it but i dont know if water passes through the inlet somewere

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 10:17:57 PM »

There is an air temp sensor in the inlet manifold...........
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up