Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duff Radio  (Read 1542 times)

7builder

Duff Radio
« on: August 14, 2011, 09:55:44 PM »

The radio in our 2002 2.7 WJ Grand Cherokee seems to have died. A few weeks ago the display died completely but the radio and CD player still worked fine. Yesterday I did some work on the wagon that involved disconnecting the battery and now the radio is completely dead. Although I cannot see the display I put the code back into the radio on first start up (I have used this code before so know it is correct) but now I have nothing at all. I can put a CD in the head unit and eject is ok and I have removed the unit from the dash and checked all of the power supplies with a multi meter and I can verify it is powering up ok but I get nothing out of it.
Any ideas as I am at a loss?

Mike Pavelin

Re: Duff Radio
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 07:08:47 AM »

Has it got a fuse on the back of it? If it's got power and a ground to it, and there's no lolwn fuse, it's fooked. Get another one off Ebay.

7builder

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:40:29 PM »

Hi Mike,

I took the head unit out and checked for a blown fuse. I even took it apart to check for fuses internally but couldn't find anything. I think you are right that the unit is screwed but I just wanted to make sure I had covered off the obvious before heading off to ebay as they are not cheap to replace.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »

get yourself  and adapter so you can fit a standard single din unit and leads.

7builder

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 04:17:36 PM »

get yourself  and adapter so you can fit a standard single din unit and leads.
Hi panic,
Would that be compatible with the steering wheel controls? If so maybe I could look at double din units as well.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »

Hold your horses. You may have an Infinity system, which has an amplifier under the back seat.
You'll need adapters to use your steering wheel controls and the amplifier. You'll also need a higher
end stereo that has steering wheel control. You would be as well to get a used replacement unit
off eBay.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 04:26:38 PM »

like tim says, you can change the stereo unit but not all will be compatible with the steering wheel controls, if you want to retain those then  you will have to get a replacement standard unit.

7builder

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 04:33:07 PM »

I'm not sure if it is an Infinity system, I have never seen anything  to say it was but I will dig deeper when I get home.
The jeep is a 2002 2.7CRD Grand Cherokee Limited so not sure if that has any bearing on things.
I think you are right though and a replacement standard unit might be my best option it's just that I begrudge spending nigh on £100 on a second hand unit when money is tight at the moment.

Tank

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »

You can buy adaters that allow a normal stereo to be used with your original steering wheel controls on some models but not sure about jeep

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »

Have a look to see if any of these will do the job

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/install-adaptors-chrysler/

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »

As I posted above, an aftermarket radio that will work with steering wheel controls isn't bargain basement.
Add to that the cost of the adapter cable/s and a fascia adapter and it's really not worth it, unless you need
Ipod control or aux in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up