Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing to All Terrain Tyres  (Read 3340 times)

7builder

Changing to All Terrain Tyres
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:03:39 PM »

The rear tyres on my WJ Grand Cherokee need replacing and I would like to put some AT's on. The fronts are fine for the time being so will I be ok leaving the fronts as they are (standard road going pattern) and just replacing the rears or will this cause problems for the 4WD running gear as it can on some makes and models?
Also anyone know of any good deals on AT's at the moment as there isn't much choice for 17" rims?

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
Re: Changing to All Terrain Tyres
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:09:15 PM »

Your WJ also has permanent 4wd I trust ?

Always been told to change 4 corners at the same time other wise drivetain, transfer case etc... is liable to develop problems due
to different circumference of tyres.

Sure techies will chime in l8r

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

7builder

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:03:21 PM »

Yeah it is permanent 4WD but I am sure I read some where that it was ok on Jeeps as long as you changed both tyres on the same axle but having done a search on the subject I can't find a clear cut answer.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 11:32:25 PM »

Change all 4 and dont forget the spare....

jay140285

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »

Try getting AT's for 18inch alloys then!!!

Yes you will need to change all 4 corners I am afraid.

A few of us have recently put General Grabber AT's on (newer version of the AT2), MPG is unchanged, road noise is as it was and they seen to perform well on and off road. 

gregwho

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 10:04:05 AM »

I did the same thing a few years ago, and as everyone else has mentioned change all four and the spare at the sametime.  I took the opportunity to change the size of the tyres (bigger) at the sametime as I thought on the WJ the factories looked a bit skinny.  I wanted the General Grabbers, but when I was looking no-where in the UK held stock of them so I went with Cooper Discoverer ATRs (http://www.coopertire.co.uk/content/discoverer-atr) at about £90 a corner and couldnt have been happier with them.  So far tread has worn by a few mm and Ive done about 30k on them, so I reckon they'll do 60k-70k.  They have churned through the few snow storms we've had in the last few years with ease, and are equally capable on the road in all conditions.  As with the Generals previously mentioned I havent suffered from worse MPG and road noise has actually been better!

7builder

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 10:23:29 AM »

Greg you say that you put bigger tyres on your WJ, what size did you go up to? Also is your WJ standard or lifted at all?
On a standard height WJ what would the maximum 17" tyre size be that I could get away with?

scrw

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »

245-65-17 or 235-70-17, depending how much your suspension has sagged thats as big as you can go. TBH if you want ATs get some 16" rims, shag all choice in 17"s And if you get some cheap 16" wheels the tyres are also a fair bit cheaper

Bishops Finger

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 11:44:48 AM »

AT's on 18's was a challenge :greggmo:

7builder

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 03:36:01 PM »

What model 16" rims fit the WJ then? I cant even find the correct PCD and offset for mine.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 03:45:19 PM »

5 x 127 pcd If i am correct

scrw

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 03:53:51 PM »

What model 16" rims fit the WJ then?

WJ ones  :003:

And JK wranger wheels, but I don't think they are 16" anyway

http://www.wjjeeps.com/wheels.htm

Silverblade 1's are the ones you see loads of in the UK

jay140285

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 07:38:56 PM »

AT's on 18's was a challenge :greggmo:

Yep, but challenge completed!

Bishops Finger

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 11:34:21 PM »

Yer not alone.... :greggmo:

gregwho

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 06:35:49 PM »

Greg you say that you put bigger tyres on your WJ, what size did you go up to? Also is your WJ standard or lifted at all?
On a standard height WJ what would the maximum 17" tyre size be that I could get away with?

I went with some 255/65/17s - it gave me the bigger look on the sidewall.  I have stock suspension and my jeep is a 53 plate, so about 8 years worth of sagging  :icon_winkle:  I havent had any rubbing even on full lock.  I did look into getting some 16" wheels, but the cost of getting (even secondhand) a set of rims plus the tires put it out of my price range, so stuck with the original 17" wheels.  Not sure if it helps in any way, but ive put a couple of pictures below of my wheels (the writing on the tyre used to be white):

I've not used the picture upload before (just signed up to Flickr to do it) so hope it worked, it not, let me know and i'll figure out what I did wrong!

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]

Nosebolt

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 07:07:54 PM »

don't need flicker m8, just below where you typed your post there is an additional options tag, click that, and you will see a choose file button, click that and select the picture you want to upload from your computer, you don't need to do any more unless you want the picture at a fixed position within your post, if so then click [insert attachment 1], for more than 1 picture click (more attachments) and a new line will appear, repeat as above

gregwho

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 07:54:17 PM »

don't need flicker m8, just below where you typed your post there is an additional options tag, click that, and you will see a choose file button, click that and select the picture you want to upload from your computer, you don't need to do any more unless you want the picture at a fixed position within your post, if so then click [insert attachment 1], for more than 1 picture click (more attachments) and a new line will appear, repeat as above

Cheers Nosebolt!!  That makes things so much simpler...I even managed to edit my original post to get the pictures in there  :greggmo:

7builder

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »

I've found some excellent priced Insa Turbo Rangers in 2 sizes, 235/65/17 and 265/65/17. The 235's are speed rated Q and the 265's are S rated. Everything I have read about tyre sizes say that the 265's are too big for a standard suspension setup but when I look at the clearances around the wheel arches there seems to be plenty of room for the bigger tyres and I'm talking inches.
Stupid is my middle name but am I missing something here as the 265'65/17's look like they will fit with acres of room to spare even on full lock and with suspension articulation plus they are the correct speed rating?

wildrover

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 10:27:33 PM »

Those Insa turbos work great in mud and snow , but they make a bit of noise on the tarmac , and wear out a bit quicker than road type tyres....

7builder

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »

Well after a lot of fannying around (I seem to do a lot of that) I finally went for a set of Cooper Discover ATR's in 245/67/17. I managed to get them from a local independent fitted for £111.65 each. The Insa Turbo's wouldn't have been much cheaper by the time I added postage and fitting so I went for the Coopers as they have good reviews.

jay140285

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 02:11:14 PM »

I had them on my previous set of wheels, did well in the snow last year and in mud.

7builder

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 02:43:34 PM »

Hi Jay I drove home the 1/2 mile from the fitters and must say they seemed excellent in the dry.  :icon_biggrin:

jay140285

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 04:48:41 PM »

Excellent news, just need the snow and crappy weather to get them properly tested now!

7builder

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »

Excellent news, just need the snow and crappy weather to get them properly tested now!
True, if we get any snow I'll let you know how I get on but I guess they will be better that the old worn Goodyear Wrangler F1's they have replaced.
Pages: [1]   Go Up