Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrades  (Read 8389 times)

MK1

Upgrades
« on: February 05, 2005, 12:47:33 PM »

Hello all.

I was thinking about upgrades and need some advice. What's the differance between intake and headers for an upto 81 model (mines a 79 CJ7) and an 81 onwards? aren't all 258s the same? Is it worth chucking money at a 258, or should I be thinking V8 conversion? Another idea is to keep mine standard, use it to get some experience then buy an all singing and dancing CJ or Wrangler that someone else has chucked money at.

All help, advice and ideas appreciated.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 10:22:22 PM »

come on you 4.2 guys feed back i know some of you have had problems and some are still havin probs o by the way mark you seid you had just had some engine work done what was done and why was it a problem that had to be cured :smt028

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

jimyj

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 01:38:56 PM »

THOUGHT IT ABOUT TIME I POSTED,AND ON ONE OF MY FAV SUBJECTS THE 258 JEEP ENGINE. I RATE THIS ENGINE LOTS TORQUE LOW DOWN RUNS FOR EVER AND SIMPLE. V8S ARE GREAT BUT LOTS TO DO,A SIX CAN BE MADE TO RUN WELL WITHOUT HUGE WORK OR ££. FIRST BIN THE STD CARB AND FIT A WEBER ON THE STOCK INTAKE. HUGE INPROVEMENT,IF YOU FEEL CONFIDENT AFTER THAT JET IT DOWN PLUS A PRESSURE REGULATER  :D  GLAD TO SEE YOU GUYS ARE SORTING A 2005 YJJ  WILL DO MY BEST TO MAKE THE TRIP HAD GREAT TIME AT THE LAST ONE, CANT LET YOU LOT HAVE ALL THE FUN  :lol:

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 08:17:31 PM »

I bought the jeep from Southport. She came from ebay, blind bid and paid a small deposit. When I went to fetch her, it was obviously not running right. I guess I should have walked away but I was dazzled by how well she looked. It was supposedly restored in 2003. I hoped it was just a problem with the carb.

After only ten miles I had to ring the AA. Ended up coming home on a recovery truck. I did a compression check and found no compression at all on cyl. 5 + 6!
Stripped it down to find two bent push rods and valves!!!  :( :?:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 10:26:48 PM »

well jim i partly agree in good form 258 is indeed a good engine i have got a super one on the floor of my workshop and would not sell it for less than 800 quid its that good but used hard and after highish milage they soon start to breath heavy and just dont give the torque of a v8 which is very much easyer to fit than peaple think why spend money on a 258 just to bring it up to the perfomance of a standard v8
to improve a258 get rid of the crap carb toss the inlet fit a header most folks say hedders dont help under 1500 to 2000 rpm i say they just got rocks in there head but a big power gain can be had from a dui ignition as is on my 258 instantly more power you can feel smother running aswell

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 08:42:49 PM »

or just go for a v8 swap mind you i dont think jeep have ever fitted a truely crap engine they all work well it just depends what you want to do with ya jeep

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 07:19:34 PM »

I have had very little response from various wanted ads for info and upgrades. :(

I think I will get the weber rebuilt, buy an HEI distributor and leave the rest standard for now.

It has to be better to have a near standard jeep that runs well than wait for ever for second hand performance parts that may never be offered.  :lol:

To jimyj

What size jets would you suggest that I use for the 32/36 dgav? It has to be rebuilt so it can be jetted up at the same time.  :)

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 11:15:47 PM »

I have to agree i would love a V8 but i do not have the money or the ability to fit one so untill i do i will stick with my 258 witch is a great engine. I have done sone off roading and have never been let down.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 12:42:14 AM »

:cry: As some of you may be aware i am having a few problems with my 258.I am in the process of changing the carb for a weber ( when the weather premits ).All the problems i have had in the past have been to do with the carb, so i am hoping once the weber is fitted things will be ok.

I will keep you all posted on how things go.

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 02:40:38 AM »

Mr. Muscle.

I hope it's a new or rebuilt weber that you are using.

A worn, tired weber can be just as crap as the original jeep carb. (just like mine).

Is it a 32/36 dgv or a 38/38 dgs?

jimyj

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 11:40:02 AM »

Hi mark,   the 38 seems to work just fine , the only thing i changed on mine was to fit a fuel pressure regulator as without one the carb backs up with fuel and overflows within the float chamber, this makes them run to rich. The 38 is the same carb used on the 3.0 ford engine from the 80's so should be plenty about in  Capri or Granadas . :lol:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 07:28:31 AM »

just wondering mark what is it your carb does that is wrong i am wondering if it is poss you have an inlet leak making your probs a lot harder to sort tha just tweaking the carb jim metioned a presure regulater not sure how much that might help good as it seems there should be a return fuel pipe to the tank wich should take away the presure of exess fuel as the float rises to shut the needle valve good point jim have come across this sort of thig b4

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 08:24:22 AM »

Don't know if it will help but saw this on difflock.com (general parts for sale)

Item WEBER CARB

Price £30

Description Weber 40DFAV carburettor.

Weber 40DFAV carburettor with twin 40mm chokes geared to open simultanously. Originally off a Ford V6 3000 but jetted for a 1600/2000. Good condition. Phone Howard 01329 317585.  
Contact Information

Good condition. Phone Howard 01329 317585.

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 10:56:39 AM »

The carb is running mega rich. :(

I have tryed to set it up using the baseline settings but the mixture screw makes NO difference.=D> If it is unservicable then theres the excuse to buy a 38 dgas or a holley and new intake!   =P~

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 01:51:40 AM »

it is a 32/36dgv.Its not new but looks in very good condition.bubba had a look at it and gave it the ok.i also have a rebuild kit for it that i brought from 4wd,so hopefully when the weather is better i can have a go at fitting it.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 07:23:53 AM »

just get out there and do it tie yorself down to a lollypop stick and have ago you might surprise yaself

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2005, 12:40:35 AM »

:wink: i intend to bubba, but not in this weather.

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2005, 01:28:04 PM »

After much research, it seems that Webers like a high flow rate, low pressure fuel supply. The standard mechanical pump has a 'pulse' effect, most electric pumps are too high pressure and therefore need a regulator. Fitting a regulator can reduce the flow rate.

I have bought a Carter P4070. This has high flow rate (72 gph) but low internally regulated pressure (5 psi). Now I just have to fit it!

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2005, 07:03:41 PM »

Thats a shame i will have a Holly 360 and offenhouser intake for sale soon :D

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2005, 07:49:10 PM »

Dark Rider.

Please PM me with full details as I may still be interested.  :smt023

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 05:23:48 PM »