Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Excessive Smoke  (Read 6453 times)

7builder

Excessive Smoke
« on: September 14, 2012, 06:31:33 PM »

My 2002 2.7 CRD Grand Cherokee has been suffering from leaking injector seals and the dreaded black death. Yesterday I removed the injectors and replaced the copper seals. The Jeep now runs a lot smoother and seems to have a little bit more oomph and the nasty smell of fumes no longer fills the cabin but it now belches massive amounts of black smoke. On idle there is a constant but gentle plume of smoke from the exhaust but as soon as you press the go pedal there is a massive amount of black smoke. I have never notice the car smoking before but now it is constant whilst driving or sat in traffic.
Nothing other than the seals were replaced and only the retaining bolts undone so does anyone know why this has started happening as it has got me stumped?

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
Re: Excessive Smoke
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 06:40:12 PM »

embarrassing amounts or just smokey?
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

7builder

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »

Massive amounts on a nuclear level. Off the scale.  :icon_sad:

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »

embarrassing amounts or just smokey?

You pretending to know what you are talking about again?  :003:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 07:06:54 PM »

yup :003:

Mrs BD's shitheap done the same but im fucked if I can remember the diagnosis, however it was terminal and resulted after 6 months of tinkerin in the shitheap bein sold spares or repair
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Tank

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »

I always thought that black smoke on a diesel is usually unburnt fuel so i would maybe suggest new glow plugs and checking the air intake as a cheap first step,or another is timing on the fuel injector pump,which is a problem i had on an old isuzu astra

7builder

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:25:04 PM »

I always thought that black smoke on a diesel is usually unburnt fuel so i would maybe suggest new glow plugs and checking the air intake as a cheap first step,or another is timing on the fuel injector pump,which is a problem i had on an old isuzu astra
Cheers Tank but I dont understand how changing injector seals would end up causing this to occur. The wagon starts on the button in the morning so I think the glow plugs are ok. The smoke is still there when the engine is hot but I will check the air intake as you suggested and look to see if I disturbed any pipes or electrical connectors accidentally.

Tank

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 10:04:50 PM »

No idea,im not that technical but i would say its overfuelling somehow

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 10:06:42 PM »

a CRD should use the glow plugs to start in this weather, they only work when the outside temp is -5 and below. have you an air leak somewhere in the system which might have been caused when everything was put back together. ECU reset might clear the issue, disconnect the battery for 5 mins+ then let the system relearn itself (suggestion only)

Dutch appears to be the expert on these mainly due to a practical repair history

XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 10:08:26 PM »

Black smoke is overfueling in a diesel and can be caused by many things from duff injectors to the pump  overfueling, I think you need to take it to someone who knows more about it.

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 08:19:24 AM »

The only time we get black smoke out of all the plant we have at the airport is clogged air filters. Start simple/cheap.

7builder

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 12:43:26 PM »

I had a good look at it today and didn't find anything obvious. All the hoses seem to be intact, all electrical connections seem good and the air filter seems to be in good shape.
It started fine from cold this morning but I did notice that it is running a bit lumpy, nothing major but it is not as smooth as it was prior to changing the injector seals.

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »

I had a good look at it today and didn't find anything obvious. All the hoses seem to be intact, all electrical connections seem good and the air filter seems to be in good shape.
It started fine from cold this morning but I did notice that it is running a bit lumpy, nothing major but it is not as smooth as it was prior to changing the injector seals.

I notice in your OP that you have not replaced the stretch bolts.   These are one use only and need to be replaced by new when injectors are taken out.

You might still have sealing issues of some kind.

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

7builder

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »

I didn't do injector 4 and 5 either because of the access issues. I am going to get my mechanic to drop the engine and do the lot - properly this time.

I'm off to the US with work on Tuesday for 2-3 weeks so he can look at it whilst Im away. I'll post here when I get back and let you know the outcome.

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »

past experience also suggests it will need bleeding will bosch software :jpshakehead: which might explain why its running rough now  :banghead:
why the fuck it needs plugging into a computer, to bleed it is  :102:
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

7builder

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 06:41:19 AM »

Well the Jeep is being worked on at the moment whilst I'm away working in Arizona. The Jeeps here are amazing.I saw what looked like a LWB Wrangler in Tucson today that looked like it was on steroids, I wasn't able to get a close look at the model but it was no normal Wrangler. I am driving a Chevy Tahoe rental and I now realise how small my Grand Cherokee really is. Whenever I see one on the roads I can't believe how small it is compared to the other stuff people drive over here.

7builder

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 06:49:53 AM »

Just did a quick Google search and found the Wrangler. It was identical to this one including colour, wheels and tyres....
http://www.modifiedcars.com/pix/cars_high/25362_50422.jpg

dieselj20

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 08:29:49 AM »

Bosch injectors are coded to the ecu did you put them back in the same cylinders

7builder

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 04:51:46 AM »

Bosch injectors are coded to the ecu did you put them back in the same cylinders
Yes I did. Only one injector was removed at a time and put back before romoving the next.

dieselj20

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 08:20:27 AM »

most sprinters black smoke when they have an air leak on the pressure side of the turbo check for holes in pipes a pin size hole is usually enough has the control pipe for the turbo fell off
Pages: [1]   Go Up