Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Happens Next  (Read 3595 times)

7builder

What Happens Next
« on: January 15, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »

Calling all experienced JGC WJ owners.

I should be getting the jeep back by the end of the week having had the injector seals and dreaded black death sorted out. The heated seat elements on the passenger side are completely dead so need sorting and the drivers side turn into branding irons within minutes so also need sorting. The earth cable in the drivers door has given up the ghost again and the previous owner was fleeced by a Jeep main stealer to the sum of £1600 to remove the dash and replace the heater blend doors.

My question to the wise is what joyous calamity can I expect next on this, the most unreliable 4x4 I have owned by a long shot?

The WJ in question is a 2002 2.7CRD auto with 80,000 miles.

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
Re: What Happens Next
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 09:44:55 PM »

In a word depreciation!!!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Carlos Fandango

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 08:34:46 AM »

empty wallet ?

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »

1) Returning black death.  Fix is by no means permanent
2) Replace all fuel pipes, and various associated bits.
3) Various Lecky bits that fail : transmission TCM's, abs modules, etc....
4) Ball joints,rubbers & bushes of various ilk on a recurring schedule
5) Complete refurb of all injectors (shelf life of up to 100K)
6) Fuel rail pressure issues, and fuel pumps.
7) water leaks appear in various places.
8.) Heater matrix rusts through resulting in your own on board sauna.
9) CV joints, certainly boots (which is about as much work)

I'm sure there are more but I'm in denial now so I'm a lot happier  :hysterical:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Lukemagnum

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »

7builder

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:36:27 PM »

Oh shit  :banghead:

Wildfire

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 05:51:51 PM »

:hysterical: :hysterical:

Hey your at a forum! - we don't usually come on to say how well our cars have served us  :steeringwheel: :steeringwheel:

Ok let's go then!

I've had two GC's a 97 ZJ 2.5 TD (165,000 miles) and my current 04 WJ 2.7CRD Sport (150,000 miles)

My WJ still has original Injectors and Fuel Pumps, only had the start of black death on Injector 1, but cleaned that up and fitted a new seal and stretch bolt (about 20K ago)
I have had the drivers door earth cable problem (it broke  :wave-fingersmiely:) so I replaced that section of wire with a suitably flexible bit  :098:

My old ZJ had two diff re-builds during my ownership, so with the WJ I made sure they were re-built prior to warranty expiry (front and back!) with the back being done again 9 months later (still in the 1 year cover :icon_winkle:)  Spookily enough my diffs have been trouble free since 2008  :icon_super:

I change the fuel, oil & air filters every 10K - I found that the fuel filter was very prone to blockage and would cause the car to hiccup around the 14K mark - so while I'm doin that I change the rest too  :icon_winkle:

I've drained and re-filled the Transmission twice - bloody expensive £200 but well worth the effort - also took the Electro-hydraulic unit to bits and cleaned it while I was there.

The usual pads and discs when needed - if you intend to keep the Jeep for a long time I recommend BFG All Terrain tyres - I have only had 3 sets of tyres on my WJ - the original set from 2K to 18K goodyear Wranglers  :banghead: :banghead: BFG A/T 245/70/16 from 18K to 87K, and BFG A/T 255/70/16 from 87K to 150K, I have just fitted a 2" BB kit to lift it and fitted a set of BFG M/T 275/75/16's  :icon_super: :icon_super:

My aircon pump seized about 2 year ago - I don't see the rationale for A/C in Scotland so I binned the A/C pump and fitted an idler wheel from the Merc Sprinter  :icon_winkle:

In conjunction with the 2" lift I fitted a new set of ES9000 Pro Comp shocks  :icon_super: these keep the body roll to a minimum.

Oh and I recently had to fit a new Selector Assy as my Jeep completely lost drive :lol_hitting: the symptoms are effectively 2check the mimic lights alongside the gear levers" mine went out and if you went into reverse the reversing lights did not work.

All in all not a bad history - but you need to keep on top of it - maintenance wise - If I continue as above I don't have a worry!

I expect to replace bushes in the summer and may rebuild a diff in the next two years (so I'm looking for an LSD for the rear  :icon_winkle:) so it's ready and waiting when needed.

I have one other nugget that may have kept the engine "clean" I add approx 300ml of two stroke oil to each tank of diesel - the mpg is slightly better and the engine benefits from a cleaner burn along with less soot in the EGR system. - Google it and make your own mind up!

Hey just drive it and enjoy!!

7builder

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »

Thanks Wildfire that is a very comprehensive reply.
Some of the things you speak about I understand but some things will need the use of Google as I am not the greatest mechanic on the planet. I have the drivers door earth lead issue so will do what you did and replace with better quality cable as my crimp connector repair didn't last very long. I don't know if it is a coincedence but since the earth lead snapped my heater controls work in reverse (dial to cold = hot air, dial to hot = cold air).
I carry out regular oil and filter changes but have not changed the fuel filter so that will go onto the do list. I have recent;ly noticed that the Jeep judders slightly on full lock so I hope this isn't a diff issue as that scares me.
How come a transmission fluid change cost £200 as that sounds expensive?
I'm off to google two stroke oil now as I would have thought adding that to the tank would make it smoke more but like I said, I aint no mechanic just trying to keep nasty surprises and hefty bills to a minimum.

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 12:19:06 PM »

I have recent;ly noticed that the Jeep judders slightly on full lock so I hope this isn't a diff issue as that scares me.

7, do you hear a clicking sound as well from the wheels, could be your CV joint is on the way out.

7builder

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »

No, not any type of noise just judder. Well more of a slight rocking sensation as the jeep seems to try and move out further than its turning circle.
I'm not explaining it very well.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 01:34:33 PM »

What you are describing sounds like when an XJ is driven on the road in part time 4x4. I don't know enough details on WJ systems but it could be transfer case related.

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 07:11:14 PM »

:iagree: :imwitstupid:

Have your diffs got the required addative in with the oil ?
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

7builder

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 11:05:10 AM »

Gaz the short answer to that is I don't know. In the 18 months I have owned the jeep I haven't touched the diff or AT box. What is the addative you speak of?

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 11:34:46 AM »

KY jelly.... ask IOM   :hysterical:

....no I agree, that's not funny  :icon_redface:

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 05:35:34 PM »

Gaz the short answer to that is I don't know. In the 18 months I have owned the jeep I haven't touched the diff or AT box. What is the addative you speak of?

Look here
http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=8091.0

The addative is needed in limited slip diffs along with the recomended grade of oil.

Have a look to see whats needed in yours, best bet is to get it from the dealers, have a google of Mopar diff addative  :icon_winkle:
folks sell it on ebay too http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-JEEP-CHEROKEE-GRAND-CHEROKEE-MOPAR-LIMITED-SLIP-DIFF-OIL-ADDITIVE-/261158527242?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cce42e10a
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »

Calling all experienced JGC WJ owners.

forget it, no such thing, they all be virgins or they wouda bought a proper truck
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:
Pages: [1]   Go Up