Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WG steering "rub"  (Read 1981 times)

Andyp

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Grand Cherokee V8
  • Year: 2001
WG steering "rub"
« on: July 07, 2019, 12:39:40 PM »

I bought another WG to replace my tapping one but it had to go back to where I bought it from for some work, a vibration at 60mph plus and blend door motors. I also reported a "rub" when approaching full lock which the seller told me would be the bump stops need greasing. They've had it for two weeks and when I chased them they've said it's ready. They've replaced front discs and pads, as well as the blend doors and both motors. However, when pushed about the "rub" he re-iterated his statement that the bump stops need greasing. I've looked in my Haynes manual and I can't see any mention of steering bump stops, do the WGs even have them? I can find mention online of Wranglers having them but not Grands.

It sounds like they haven't done anything about it and, as I can't collect it (again) until next weekend, I'm inclined to insist they fix this but I want to get my facts straight first. I might add that the seller initially told me that the vibration would be wheel balance so I'm not really inclined to believe his diagnoses at this point.

carljh

• Guru
Re: WG steering "rub"
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 02:54:38 PM »

the only bump stops on the front are the jounce rubbers on the chassis rail by the spring tops, Is it something simple like the plastic liner missing some clips and hanging down?
on standard tyres and rims there should be plenty of clearance on full lock, could you see any marks where it was rubbing to see what was catching?

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 03:29:04 PM »

I've not had a look myself. I noticed the vibration on the way home so, with the seller's agreement, I got my local garage to have a quick look. When they gave me a list I arranged to take it back. I only noticed the rub on the trip to return it so I left it with them. I was tight on time for my train home so I didn't have chance to check there. I didn't think I'd seen any on my old one but I hadn't had need to look too closely. As the seller still has it I'll point out there aren't any bump stops on the steering and insist they have a proper look at it.

Tyres are stock size, ride height appears to be as well. It has full Jeep history including gearbox, transfer case and diff fluid change 2k ago. I'm wondering whether the friction modifier got missed now but I'll put the ball back in the seller's court.

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 10:15:24 AM »

Word has come back that it's the tyres touching the inside of the wheel well. They claim their mechanic says this is "common on these". I guess I'll be picking it up and seeing what happens.

carljh

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 03:14:39 AM »

I've owned 2 WJ's a 2001 3.1TD and a 2003 4.7HO neither comes close to rubbing the tyres on the inner wings!
Only way I can think of is if the panhard rod bushes are totally gone, but you'd know if they had with the terrifying death wobble you'd get!

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 07:40:43 PM »

I've owned 2 WJ's a 2001 3.1TD and a 2003 4.7HO neither comes close to rubbing the tyres on the inner wings!

Same here 1 x 4.7V8 & 1 x 2.7CRD.  Never ever any issues with what you describe.

They claim their mechanic says this is "common on these"  Sorry but  :wtf: :eusa_naughty: :sign0103: :sign0135:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 02:53:46 PM »

I've got it back but I've not had time to do more than a visual inspection (without jacking). I can't see any marks on anything inside the wheel arches and nothing hanging down or loose. I plan to try swapping all four wheels from my old one this weekend so I'll give the suspension a look over while it's on axle stands.

I'm still thinking friction modifier in the front diff, even though the change was done at a Chrysler dealer. Would I be best to add an ounce at a time and test or fully drain and refill? Would a CV joint give this issue?

carljh

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 05:21:52 PM »

If there wasn't enough modifier in the front when you go full lock you'd feel it twitching as the wheels bind up and skip.
If you're not sure when the axles were last done, just pull the covers and put some fresh 75w-140 in.
I've just remembered my 4.7 had a rear axle seal done by the dealers and they put 80w-90 in even tho the tag said 75w-140

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 06:11:49 AM »

The fluid change was only done 2k ago. When I test for vibration after swapping the wheels I'll test full lock in a car park and see if it feels like skipping. I just admit it feels like more than just contact, there's  a feeling of resistance that's hard to describe. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's the wrong fluid, how often would a main dealer see a WG now, let alone a V8 with Vari-Lok?

carljh

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 01:37:41 PM »

for piece of mind I'd change the fluids anyway, that way you know everything is correct and go from there, just because they are a main dealer doesn't mean they know what they are doing!
my 3.1TD stopped changing down gears and Jeep wanted £1500 to take it out send away to be rebuilt, a bit of googling and £150 for some parts and fluid and 2 hours labour, all fixed! Lasted longer than the engine!
 Is a common problem for the 44RE transmissions to need governor pressure solenoids/transducers, something they should know about. And you wounder why my local dealer has just gone bankrupt. 

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 01:53:39 PM »

:iagree: Changing the fluids would be my first step.

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 06:20:48 PM »

Well, surprisingly I couldn't find anything that would make contact at either full lock, or anything that would move when shaken,so I changed the fluid. No noise from the front any more but perhaps some from the rear. Ran out of 75w140 so I'll change the rear this weekend once I've got some more. I had plenty of additive so used plain 75w140 and mixed additive in but, when I run out of additive, is there an oil with the additive in that's likely to be an acceptable ratio off the shelf?

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 10:37:12 PM »

Lots of gear oils already have LSD additive in them. You need to check labels for 'safe to use with limited slip differentials' or similar wording.

carljh

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 02:14:23 AM »

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 09:24:37 PM »

That would do it. I use their MTL in my TJ Gearbox and it's good stuff.

A cheaper alternative would be https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1L-75w140-Fully-Synthetic-Limited-Slip-Differential-Oil-1-Litre-GL-5-75w-140-LS/121762900912?hash=item1c59a26bb0:g:as4AAOSwL7VWi~NX

I've used Westway stuff before, though I forget what fluid/oil it was.

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 02:51:18 PM »

Thanks guys, I'd seen the Redline and Westway but I wasn't sure whether they had the right amount of additive in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up