Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WJ stereo wiring  (Read 3107 times)

Andyp

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Grand Cherokee V8
  • Year: 2001
WJ stereo wiring
« on: October 17, 2019, 03:57:06 PM »

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee with the standard stereo and an aux in adaptor that uses the CD changer port (I have no changer). I plan to add DAB as I have a DAB box that has aux out but it needs power. It has a cigarette lighter plug but as everything else will be hidden I'd rather wire it to a switched supply. Does anyone know whether the switched supply to the stereo would have enough juice to spare if I piggyback it? According to WJJeeps it should be pin 6 in the grey connector (http://wjjeeps.com/radio_systemdiag3.jpg) but I'd check with a multimeter first.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
Re: WJ stereo wiring
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 05:37:00 PM »

Hi
Yes the DAB won't draw much current. a few 100ma at most
should be fine

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 03:11:50 PM »

On the assumption that the switched supply as just the switch and that the B+ is a direct feed from the battery, would I be better using a fused relay from B+ (pin 7) with the switched live as a signal? It isn't much more work and given that this will be hidden behind the dash I'd rather be safe.

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 10:56:11 AM »

If you're not powering a CD changer you could tap the yellow B+ and red switched wires of the changer connector. Or, as you were thinking, you could just use the same power source as the radio. The CD changer power is routed through the radio anyway. Either way there's more than enough juice to power a DAB adapter.

Wire colours are specified in the connector pin outs from the 01 FSM. As you can see for the Radio -C1 connector, Switched is white/red at pin 6 and B+ is red/white at pin 7.

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 10:55:03 PM »

Thanks, I'll see if I can get into the change adaptor wiring and if not I'll just use the B+ feed for the stereo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up