Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very cold snap - Jeep WJ 2.7CRD pulling in air somewhere ??  (Read 4903 times)

macabethiele

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Year: 2005
Very cold snap - Jeep WJ 2.7CRD pulling in air somewhere ??
« on: November 10, 2019, 11:34:19 AM »

Well for two weeks after fuel filter changed all was good with great hot & cold starts.

Problem has now returned - when fuel tank is full it starts brilliantly - no air in fuel lines visible. As fuel level drops the problem seems to return - worse when engine is between cold & normal?

Could it be pulling air in via fuel tank connections?

This morning (Sat 9/11/19) she started instantly, moved her about on the drive, switched off having seen loads of air in the fuel pipes in & out of the low pressure pump.

Then would not start - too much air in the system again - it started when I used Easy Start. Seems as though the overnight frost has shrunk something & allowed air into the system. Really frustrating after 5 years of faultless starting.

Anyone here ever had to access the fuel tank connections - it seem crazy that you have to remove the fuel tank to access them ?
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
Re: Very cold snap - Jeep WJ 2.7CRD pulling in air somewhere ??
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 09:09:18 AM »

The tank connectors should be able to be accessed at the front of the tank, where they would be disconnected before dropping the tank. There would be a short line that goes from the front of the tank to the fuel tank assembly. The fuel line connections on pwtrol models are quick connect fittings, but I don't know if the diesel are the same.

I'm wondering, since it's better when the tank's full, if the fuel filler cap is venting or allowing a vacuum to build up and sucking air in somewhere. Might be worth undoing the cap after each journey just to relieve any vacuum in the tank and see if that makes a difference at all.

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 06:05:15 PM »

This very thing stopped my old Capri many years ago, bugger died & wouldn't start again, undid the fuel cap, big suck of air released, never did it again on that car or any other
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

macabethiele

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 10:28:21 PM »

Definitely not the fuel vent - aside from the fact it's not petrol - no noise when I unscrew the cap and the vent pipe is not blocked.

Seriously looking at fitting new fuel lines at the front like these below. As the situation is so temperature dependent in terms of air ingress am thinking the fuel lines close to the engine need replacing, anyone of the seals / parts might be the cause of the air leak under suction from the low pressure pump.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-ORIGINAL-MOPAR-FUEL-PIPE-KIT-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-1999-2004-2-7CRD-DIESEL/302734103139?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500

macabethiele

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 05:31:36 AM »

Problem sorted with the fitting of a set of three new engine fuel pipes - set of Mercedes/Mopar Genuine Pipes used.
All visible air now gone, decided it was drawing in air from engine pipe seals rather than the fuel tank as the problem was clearly engine temperature related.

Thanks for the tips in my two posts.
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500
Pages: [1]   Go Up