Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeep WK1 - electrical Gremlin sounding Horn!  (Read 9048 times)

macabethiele

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Year: 2005
Jeep WK1 - electrical Gremlin sounding Horn!
« on: November 13, 2019, 10:21:13 AM »

Our Jeep WK has started occasionally blowing the horn when you put on the indicator, when indicator is switched off horn continues for about 5 seconds then stops.

My guess is that its related to earthing somewhere on the light circuit anyone here had this fault & fixed it ?
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
Re: Jeep WK1 - electrical Gremlin sounding Horn!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 11:33:51 AM »

The only common point in the indicator and horn circuits is ground G103. The location isn't shown in the FSM but the ground is also shared by the washer fluid level sensor which might help you locate it.

There's been a similar issue affect some TJs where a bad ground can cause the wipers to be activated by use of horn, headlamps or left turn signal.

Hopefully it's as simple as cleaning the ground up when you locate it. I can't explain why should continue after the turn signal is turn off though. I do find that bit puzzling.

macabethiele

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 02:51:59 PM »

The only common point in the indicator and horn circuits is ground G103. The location isn't shown in the FSM but the ground is also shared by the washer fluid level sensor which might help you locate it.

There's been a similar issue affect some TJs where a bad ground can cause the wipers to be activated by use of horn, headlamps or left turn signal.

Hopefully it's as simple as cleaning the ground up when you locate it. I can't explain why should continue after the turn signal is turn off though. I do find that bit puzzling.

For now I have just removed the Horn Relay I will take a look around the screenwash level area and see if I can find anything amiss. Thanks for the heads up.
Being old school I wondered if there was a worn horn ring and contact at fault. Vehicle has done 81 k miles.
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 08:19:12 PM »

Unfortunately the electrics on a WK are complicated and don’t share the rules of old vehicles. The horn circuit wiring might be shared by other systems. Inspecting grounds and general wiring would be worthwhile if you have the time.

macabethiele

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 08:25:23 PM »

Unfortunately the electrics on a WK are complicated and don’t share the rules of old vehicles. The horn circuit wiring might be shared by other systems. Inspecting grounds and general wiring would be worthwhile if you have the time.

I plan to work my way round the earthing system.
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500

macabethiele

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 10:35:56 AM »

I cant even see the washer bottle level switch as its well hidden but I have found one possible ground that has three connections going to it that is not far away. I have removed the bolt done some cleaning of the contact area & added an extra serrated type washer so will see if this stops the random horn blowing.
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500

macabethiele

• Guru
Re: Jeep WK1 - electrical Gremlin sounding Horn for no reason!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 07:22:24 PM »

Having cleaned a trio of grounds the Horn is not blowing when I operate the indicators.
It sounded today for a few seconds when I was going in a pretty straight line - no indicators ?
Just did it the once ona journey of around 5 miles. Did not sound again for the rest of the day.

Am thinking its a horn ring contact if there is one?
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 11:44:15 AM »

Airbag and any other electrics in the steering wheel are all connected to the loom via a clockspring. It's possible you may have a fault with the horn switch which is a membrane type switch. I don't know how likely they are to fail though. Part number is 5143588AA.

Just had a look on the bay of thieves and they are over £70 plus shipping etc from the USA! I think I'd look at wiring in a big button on the dash before paying out that much.

macabethiele

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 11:53:56 PM »

Airbag and any other electrics in the steering wheel are all connected to the loom via a clockspring. It's possible you may have a fault with the horn switch which is a membrane type switch. I don't know how likely they are to fail though. Part number is 5143588AA.

Just had a look on the bay of thieves and they are over £70 plus shipping etc from the USA! I think I'd look at wiring in a big button on the dash before paying out that much.

I agree for how often I use the horn a dash button would be okay - its strange but when I had removed the relay I had a couple of times when I wanted to use the horn!

There have been no more problems since when using the indicators - it has not sounded again since the one occasion two weeks ago.
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500

macabethiele

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 12:14:35 AM »

I did clean up an earth contact but in the end what seems to have cured it for good was squirting some WD40 into a couple of holes in the lower cowling. Not happened again for what is now 4 months. Found a cure on U Tube where it suggested contacts stick.
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500
Pages: [1]   Go Up