Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XJ - Grinding Gear Noise when in Neutral?  (Read 2762 times)

That Oily Rag

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: XJ 2.5TD
  • Year: 99
XJ - Grinding Gear Noise when in Neutral?
« on: October 26, 2020, 12:04:15 PM »

2.5TD Manual XJ

Just wondering what you Dastards think of this issue, it has happened twice now:

XJ engine up to operating temperature after a drive. Once when pulling up to my drive and noticing that the bin was left covering the drive, so I idle up to the drive in second, put it into neutral, handbrake on and jump out to move the bin, but as I am moving the bin I heard a grinding noise coming from the XJ, almost like someone was trying to put it into gear with using the clutch. The noise happened for about 3 or 4 seconds. As the main road had just been re-laid, I assumed it was a stone stuck in the fan or something.

XJ from cold start. Last night it happened again, pulling out of a friend's drive in first then put the clutch down to check the road was clear and the 'gear grinding noise' happened again, for about 3 seconds. I put it into neutral, then back to first and drove back as normal.

The only other issue which might be related is ever since I bought the Jeep (10 years ago or so), it has always needed to go into 3rd, then into reverse or it will grind, sometimes you have to go to 3rd, then double clutch into reverse, however it has never been a big issue as I am just used to it now.

Any thoughts gentlemen?  :100: :017:

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
Re: XJ - Grinding Gear Noise when in Neutral?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 12:42:27 PM »

sounds like clutch release bearing - but they normally go very quickly to grinding all the time.

Next time it does it try pressing the clutch pedal a little and see if the tone changes
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 03:40:01 PM »

I agree with that...certainly the first thing to check. Next possibility is one or more of the synchro rings in the tranny, but I hope I'm wrong about that.

That Oily Rag

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 06:09:48 PM »

Thanks.

I do not know when it last had the clutch changed, I have not done it in 60/70k, so I was waiting until that needed changing to take a look.

Another strange noise it does is like a creaking / knocking when reversing, especially after a long drive, I had assumed this was something to do with the rear diff, but I have also read it could be engine and / or gearbox mounts, however I thought I would mention it in-case it helps someone identify the issue.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 04:41:48 PM »

as everyone has said the release bearing or thrust bearing is on the top of the list, clutch and pressure plate swap while your at it. pressure plate could be worn as well

XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

That Oily Rag

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 06:53:33 PM »

as everyone has said the release bearing or thrust bearing is on the top of the list, clutch and pressure plate swap while your at it. pressure plate could be worn as well

Thanks, I'll add it to the list  :icon_rolleyes:  :icon_biggrin:

Is there anything else worth doing while that section is apart?  :017:

Is the main end bearing seal an issue on these? There is a seep of oil coming from the bellhousing.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 01:00:02 PM »

if the gearbox is off it is worth replacing everything in there for new due to the time cost and hassle of removing the box and refitting it.

so its advisable to replace as a minimum

thrust bearing (release bearing)
clutch
pressure plate

there should be no reason to replace the flywheel unless it is scored to hell but then you wouldn't be able to select gears as the clutch assembly would be toast.

the crank seal should then be easier to replace due to access, the seal in itself is a split assembly (if its the same as the 4ltr sorry cant remember) so there shouldn't be any issues installing
Alfa 147 jtdm

That Oily Rag

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 02:10:06 PM »

if the gearbox is off it is worth replacing everything in there for new due to the time cost and hassle of removing the box and refitting it.

so its advisable to replace as a minimum

thrust bearing (release bearing)
clutch
pressure plate

there should be no reason to replace the flywheel unless it is scored to hell but then you wouldn't be able to select gears as the clutch assembly would be toast.

the crank seal should then be easier to replace due to access, the seal in itself is a split assembly (if its the same as the 4ltr sorry cant remember) so there shouldn't be any issues installing

Thank you sir, notes taken.  :greggmo:

That Oily Rag

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 05:42:50 PM »

Just to add to this, I haven't had time to start fault finding properly yet, however, I did notice on a rare occasion that I had it in 4WDL and reversing made it judder quite a lot, it certainly was not smooth.

Situation:
Reversing around 2 metres on wet grass after climbing (going forward) a steep, wet, grass hill for about 7 metres in 4WDL 1st.

:icon_sad:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 04:38:07 PM »

I gather your aware that the diesel jeep is only a part time 4wd system and for use where the surface is loose so as there is no slip system in the transfer/gearbox like on the 4ltr petrol
Alfa 147 jtdm

That Oily Rag

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 09:51:17 AM »

I gather your aware that the diesel jeep is only a part time 4wd system and for use where the surface is loose so as there is no slip system in the transfer/gearbox like on the 4ltr petrol

on a rare occasion that I had it in 4WDL
Situation:
Reversing around 2 metres on wet grass after climbing (going forward) a steep, wet, grass hill for about 7 metres in 4WDL 1st.

:iagree:
Pages: [1]   Go Up