Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrangler TJ fuel access hatch / panel above tank  (Read 2057 times)

Sparks_89

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Jeep Wrangler TJ 5.7 V8
  • Year: 1998
Wrangler TJ fuel access hatch / panel above tank
« on: July 01, 2021, 08:49:05 AM »

I read many posts about about adding a access panel above the fuel tank to be able to remove the fuel pump without dropping the tank and I went ahead and did it. Was pretty easy really, I didn't drop the tank to do it and I don't have a body lift. Excuse my depth gauge jigsaw device but it did the job ha. Happy to give more info if anybody wants it. My hole was smaller than most I saw but was the perfect size to remove the pump easily.

I had to remove the pump to install the Novak fuel regulator bypass with return as I just installed a Holley Sniper EFI on my 5.7 chevy V8 engine (alot better than the carb)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
Re: Wrangler TJ fuel access hatch / panel above tank
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 09:09:33 AM »

That's such a good idea, I can never understand why they didn't have a hatch from the factory. Later FSJs just had a simple panel held on by four screws; I don't see why they didn't carry that over.

I had thought about adding a boat-style hatch if I ever needed to, although I just ended up dropping the tank last time!

Sparks_89

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Jeep Wrangler TJ 5.7 V8
  • Year: 1998
Re: Wrangler TJ fuel access hatch / panel above tank
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 09:30:57 AM »

I know its not a big issue to drop the tank (I've done it twice before) but it is now a lot easier to access should I need to tweak it in the future. Genright make a panel but it is expensive for what is is and it is too big really, there is no need to go far back as it does which means you have to cut a floor support....
Pages: [1]   Go Up