Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 97 TJ front prop  (Read 3331 times)

Dodster

97 TJ front prop
« on: July 05, 2006, 10:03:36 PM »

Story so far.. (sorry if its boring)

I have recently had the sparrow noises underneath the TJ and after some careful listening its coming from the double carden on the front driveshaft so ive tried to drop the front prop tonight.
Ive loosened 6 of the 8mm bolts no problem but 2 of them at the TC end wont budge, ive took the skid off to get better access, bost 2x 8mm sockets and rounded the corners of the bolts off.. :wink:

Phil

Manda

• AKA Dangerous Doris
  • Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 10:06:02 PM »

When you do get it off (I can't help there) get it to me and I can get you a new one made up with fully greasable bits. They use the old one as a pattern and seem to be the dogs danglies.
AKA Dangerous Doris

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 10:31:58 PM »

its prolly the ball makin the noise you cann peel the rubber boot back and grease it with a needle greaser you need to use a 6 sided socket bit the socket you tried was 12 sieded

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Dodster

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 10:45:48 PM »

Thanks Bubba i will give the grease a try then first..

Thanks Manda thats a kind offer... if the grease doesnt work i will bring the prop to the Pub meet if thats ok..
Would you happen to know how long it will take to do...

Cheers
Phil

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 07:32:26 AM »

They're not difficult to rebuild anyway.

Dodster

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 06:28:44 PM »

Thanks Mike.. :roll:

Bubba you were spot on with the centre ball its as stiff and squeaky as f**k. When it does turn it feels like there is sand and kack in there.

Ive got a needle adaptor coming tomorrow so i will try greasing it up...

Thanks again.. :smt023

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 06:37:49 PM »

Where do you get these needle fittings from? Is this what is needed for the US style grease nipples?

Dodster

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 06:48:06 PM »

I'm not sure if ive got the right thing until it comes but the way i understand it is its a needle type attachment that fits on the end of your gun so you can squeeze into a small openening.

It means i can lift a rubber seal very slightly so i can stick the needle down and get some grease in.
A bit like a syringe..

Ive ordered from a place called Stephens Midlands Ltd in Greets Green, West Brom.
hth

stanton

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 08:01:17 AM »

Try lighthouse jeep.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 08:49:13 AM »

Mine came from Sealey tools. They are not that "Thin", and they don't work with the normal grease points either :( (Bought mine in a hope of greasing the rear prop whilst in place :( ) But then needed it for the front Driveshaft UJs anyway.

Dodster

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 09:55:53 AM »

Needle adaptor arrived ok, packed the joint with grease, put it back together and its made all the difference. No more sparrows.. 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up