Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please  (Read 2835 times)

djgg

Help please
« on: November 26, 2006, 09:04:35 AM »

I have some engine and gears box issues .
The jeep in question is a 1953 M38A1 .
Problem with the engine is it needs a rebuild , gear box  loses  oil ,lots of oil . Last year i paid £800. + vat  for the gear box to be fixed by a well known expert in Kent . The price started at £500. all in ended up £800.+ vat . Drove the Jeep home about 60miles still had the same problem when i contacted the expert was the seals need to bed in , i will no tell you what my reply was . Long story short  was told i would half to pay again  for it to be fixed or ` F*** OFF ` .
Any one know a proper garage i can take the Jeep to in Sussex .
I would love to do it myself but i have had a new knee ,movement
is not easy .

Any help would be great

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 11:02:26 AM »

get  hold of rex ward of the military vehicle trust he will be able to recomend somwhere i am sure iin fact join the mvt they are very helpfull most of the time and a pooling of labour and skills is quite common  but i will try a few contacts so is the engine shot or is your main problem gearbox seals                i had an m38a1 years ago but had to sell it

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Toastie

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 11:14:34 AM »

Congrats on owning a piece of history!

I'm all for keeping the old stuff and since it's probably not your daily driver, don't be in a hurry  :wink: . Mine has been in the garage for the last 1-1/2 years while I've been rebuilding. Can't wait to get it on the road.

Here is a site that can answer ALL of your questions. Look the site over first. They are extremely knowledgeable and serious about their Early CJ5s and some Flatties. http://www.earlycj5.com/ Here is one of the best part suppliers, I use Carl Walck 100 percent. I don't give him part numbers, just tell him what I'm trying to do, http://www.walcks4wd.com/

Here's an old Jeep site just to look at, http://www.oldjeep.com/

Have fun and post some pictures but DON'T SELL IT.

Later.......

djgg

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 04:05:39 PM »

Thanks for the replys.
First the engine , it sounds like one of the valve / tappets is doing somthing should not eg it makes a bit of a noise . I had the Jeep running , then got a metal rod and listened to the engine by putting the rod on various parts of the engine , but i could not track down the noise ?
But it sounds like tappets if it is or not i dont know .
The gear box, gear oil comes  of the drain hole at the bell housing , only after the Jeep has gone on a run ,stop the engine then out comes the gear oil from the drain plug not a small amount but loads .I think the front
bearing oil seal needs to be replaced .   I now its gear oil because i changed the engine oil then put some EP90  (almost  black ) in the gear box then went for a 5mile drive  .When the Jeep was stoped the old EP90 came out of the bell housing .

As the engine and gear box has to be removed to do the gear box seal
 i was thinking do i get a new engine replace the gear box seal or  ?

eastryjeep

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 01:27:06 PM »

You might want to try getting hold of someone from the Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society, at http://www.imps.org.uk
I used to be a member, but they prefer stuff with a green paint scheme in it's history so I left, but they certainly know their stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up