Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rear axle oil  (Read 3141 times)

demonicwillow

rear axle oil
« on: May 01, 2008, 12:18:49 AM »

Yeah I know, but I need to ask about the 75w90 in the rear axle and the front as well, can I use semi syn or fully syn???
Ordering the additive from lighthouse along with other bits ready for the 231 to 242 change in the Oiler.

Can I use dex III in the transfer case??? Whats in the gearbox of the oiler???

Was out an about earlier in the rain in the High Octane Binge Drinker, hoofing it round corners in full time, bloody brilliant, the front pulls round a treat unlike the oiler which sticks its arse out, cant wait to do the changing :P

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:12:15 PM »

75w90 is semi synth. yes it is what you use in the both axles+ friction modifier in the rear if you have the lsd. dex 111 is fine for the t case.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
Re: rear axle oil
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 08:16:56 AM »

Quote from: "demonicwillow"
Whats in the gearbox of the oiler???

AX5

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 08:35:06 AM »

AX15 in a diesel, AX5 is the 2.5 petrol. They both use the same 75W90 GL5 semi synth as the axles.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 08:39:03 AM »

Hmm, had my suspicions that the AX5 was not strong enough for the 2.5 diesel..... bloody wikipedia!

demonicwillow

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 01:47:25 PM »

The reason why I asked is that I stock semi syn and fully syn 75w90, its all GL5 and i wish they would catagorise it better to save confusion, but after running on presumably shit oil, not that there is any left in there , its all sprayed around the underside of the jeep now, thought that the fully syn would react in some strange way, but if semi is ok thats what ill put in, although May do some towing of big stuff so might have to climb up to 75w140 ouch, expensive, but would it be good enough (75w90) for towing a caravan????

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »

If you're going to be towing use the 75/140 in the rear axle. That's what Jeep specify for heavy duty use.

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 10:47:56 PM »

Quote from: "Mike Pavelin"
AX15 in a diesel, AX5 is the 2.5 petrol. They both use the same 75W90 GL5 semi synth as the axles.

NO, NO, NO!

It cannot be stressed enough that GL5 is NOT to be used in the AX-5 and AX-15 transmissions.

GL5 gear oils contain additives that eat the yellow metal (brass) synchronisers in these gearboxes. I know it says GL5 in the owners manuals but that is a misprint. Google ax15 gl5 and see.

You need to use a GL3 or 4 oil in these trannies. The factory service manuals state the correct GL3 lubricant spec. The oils generally regarded as the best for these transmissions are Redline MTL or MT-90, or Royal Purple Synchromax.

From FSM...

RECOMMENDED LUBRICANT
Recommended lubricant for AX5 transmissions is
Mopart 75W–90, API Grade GL–3 gear lubricant, or
equivalent.

RECOMMENDED LUBRICANT
Recommended lubricant for AX15 transmissions is
Mopart 75W–90, API Grade GL–3 gear lubricant, or
equivalent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up