Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4WD weirdness  (Read 3391 times)

5thElefant

4WD weirdness
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:31:26 PM »

This has been bugging me for 8 years so I thought I'd ask the experts......

With my 98 4L Cherokee in full-time 4WD on tarmac -  while turning sharply the inside wheel is rotating at a similar speed to the outside so the tyre squirms and hops. I'd have thought this would only occur in part-time, but no big-deal (unless this is part of the problem, if it is one).
Now what's bugging me is...

When I go back to 2WD this behaviour continues (although the front wheels don't feel like they're in drive anymore). Reversing in a straight line 'fixes it'.

I'm curious as to WTF is going on internally!?  :lol:

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 06:37:02 PM »

On the 242 transfer case there is no direct connection between the shift lever and the selector fork. The lever loads up a spring which pushes the fork over, but if there is any load on the gear train it tends to stick. This especially happens when coming out of 4WD to 2WD and is made worse as you have to go through part time to get to 2WD from Full time. Any transmission windup will cause it to stick in part time until the wind up is reieved. The most effective shift procedure is to have the Jeep moving in a dead straight line on a very light trottle or coasing, shift smartly to the desired range and if necessary blip the throttle a couple of times lightly to take the load off the drivetrain until the transfer case does as it's told.

5thElefant

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 06:45:52 PM »

Ah... right. So it's actually getting stuck in part-time before it makes it to 2WD then. That all makes perfect sense now, thanks.

dxmedia

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 07:31:45 PM »

Brilliant, an 8 year problem solved in 5 minutes  8-)

bobbin

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »

Snap ! :-D
Pages: [1]   Go Up