Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power steering reservoir seal replacement?  (Read 1334 times)

J20

Power steering reservoir seal replacement?
« on: June 23, 2012, 07:05:02 PM »

Hi all, I just registered on here. A lad in my offroading club (owner of a '76 CJ6) pointed me this way:)

I have a 1981 J20 with the 258ci I6. It has sprung a leak from the crank seal on the power steering reservoir and I can't get the securing nut on the wheel to budge. I have a seal kit on the way to me but it won't do me any good if I can't get to the old seal. Am I missing some silly detail like a reverse thread on the nut or something?

Thanks in advance!
Dave.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
Re: Power steering reservoir seal replacement?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 07:08:08 PM »

No idea Dave but salutations anyway mate  :icon_super:  and there will be others along that do have a clue

V cool to have some more Old Iron on the site :icon_super:

Pic would be sweet
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 07:20:58 PM »

Hi me not sure
But hello

dieselj20

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:09:33 PM »

there is no nut on a Saginaw pump you need to pull the pulley

Nosebolt

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:21:22 PM »

using to factory tool is easiest but not essential, as you look into the end of the spindle it looks like an hex key fits but just below that there is a thread (imperial) find a bolt that fits.
I used a normal flange puller to pull off the pulley but make sure you protect the thread, do your repair and to re assemble the pulley a longer bolt, a nut and plate with a hole in it, wind on the nut all the way to the bolts head, then push the bolt through the plat and then the pulley, screw the bolt into the hex hole in the shaft as far as you can the holding the bolt head in one spanner wind down the nut till pulley is refitted.

or do what I did and buy a pump from a renault clio mk1 1.4l 8 valve, pull the pump out of the reservoir and put it in the Jeep reservoir, £16 for clio pump on eBay was cheaper than a seal kit

Nosebolt

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 10:27:23 PM »

for get all above just read the title and you don't need to remove the pulley, on the back there are 2 threads extending out of the reservoir, un screw them and put them back the other way around (long side in) turn the unit over so the rear bolts are down on a protective surface like wood and gently tap the reservoir with a nylon mallet and it will pop off, change the o ring seal and push it back in and do up the rear bolts

Nosebolt

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 10:36:51 PM »

also being a '81 258ci shouldn't it have an Eaton pump and not a Siginaw?

J20

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 12:34:56 AM »

Thanks for all the comments guys! I don't know the name of the pump but it looks the same as the one from the Clio. The comment about the Allen key hole with the thread inside it rings true - that's what I saw when I peered into it:) I'll take a long bolt to it so.

It was registered in 1981, but I get the impression that it might have been a year or two old by then as there are a few small discrepancies with the Haynes manual that would be explained this way.

Nosebolt

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 11:08:13 AM »

if its earlier then it's a eaton, just to clarify what seal has gone? the one where the spindle comes out of the pump or the one where the pump fits into the reservoir?

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 02:34:40 PM »

Good to see you found the site, as I said on our forum if you get really stuck you can use my spare one but you will have to wait until I get back from working in Africa. I will be getting the Jeep out for a run when I'm back so I can throw it in the back and meet you there. I might even get to Terenure show (on foot) so I could see you there if you want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up