Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TJ Door Jamb Switch  (Read 1285 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
TJ Door Jamb Switch
« on: June 21, 2012, 11:18:13 PM »

The interior lights on me mother's new TJ don't turn on when you open the driver's door.

I've realised that this is because the switch on the door jamb has been glued in - I'm assuming that this was to stop it from beeping with the key in the ignition and door open.

Does anyone have any ideas how to un-stick it to get the lights working properly again? I was thinking maybe prise it apart with a sharp knife, but is there anything else I could try if that fails??

Bishops Finger

Re: TJ Door Jamb Switch
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 11:25:27 PM »

Bryn it might have been a previous owners 'cheap fix ' to get the lights staying off when the doors were removed for summer...check if the hinges have been tampered with?....either way some very careful fettling with a long pointed knife may work

Others will Im sure be along with better ideas...

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »

That was my initial thought too but it's only on the driver's side, and the bolts on the hinges seem unmarked.

I'll give that a go then, hopefully it'll work! :003:

Delk

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 06:21:45 AM »

TJ's have a fuse you pull just for the door switch's and interior lights. This makes it easy when you do take the doors off.

cheese_aholic

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »

TJ's have a fuse you pull just for the door switch's and interior lights. This makes it easy when you do take the doors off.
Plus as mentioned, it stops that infernal American bleeping every time you even think about doing something you shouldn't!!! If I want to open the door with my key in the ignition then that's my choice!!!

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 08:02:10 PM »

Plus as mentioned, it stops that infernal American bleeping every time you even think about doing something you shouldn't!!! If I want to open the door with my key in the ignition then that's my choice!!!

That fecking beeping, oh my God :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: Bryn if you get stuck (no pun intended) you can have the ones out of my TJ, feckin beep beep beep :003:

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 06:30:12 PM »

That fecking beeping, oh my God :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: Bryn if you get stuck (no pun intended) you can have the ones out of my TJ, feckin beep beep beep :003:

Yeah, I swear that beeping haunts me... if the door's been open for a while, it's like the beep carries on even once I've shut it!  :hysterical:

Anyway, if I run out of luck I may well have to take you up on that offer, cheers!  :great:
Pages: [1]   Go Up